BLW- Are they getting enough food.

juliespencer9

Reaction score
With BLW how do you know LO is eating enough? as when my Lo eats the foods herself she just plays with it and pushes it around on her high chair tray and it ends up on the floor.

Also this may sound like a dumb question but if with BLW they have a yougurt do you let them eat it on their own in the bowl with fingers? and shepards pie? or just feed them it?:blush:
Is BLW just finger foods or messy foods aswell thats what im getting at!?:wacko:
MY LO hardly eats so im going to switch to BLW
Thanks.

BLW is letting LO eat whatever the family is eating be it a roast dinner or shepherds pie. You have to trust them to eat as much as they want with the comfort of knowing they will fill up on milk and get all the nutrition they need that way anyway. So the amount they eat really isn't important :thumbup:

With things like shepherds pie, I just let LO eat it with her hands but I didn't start these kinds of foods until about 8 months, she wasn't ready before then and preferred to pick up sticks of food. With things like yoghurt and porridge, I load the spoon and hand it to LO who then feeds herself. Some of the girls let LO eat the yoghurt with their hands but I'm not that brave! :lol:

The basis of BLW is not 'helping' LO at all by spoon feeding, putting food in their mouths etc. If you haven't already got it, I'd recommend BLW by Gill Rapley, it's brilliant at explaining the theory behind BLW. Oh and come and join us on the support sticky if you haven't already :hugs:

i know morgan wud just chuck it everywhere part from his mouth , i feed him, but he had things like rusk/carrots ( not so messy things) after i know hes eaten enough food x i do pass him the spoon and he does it him self,but sometimes he doesnt lol

Lu has said what I would say.

Hope to see you in the BLW sticky!

BLW is letting LO eat whatever the family is eating be it a roast dinner or shepherds pie. You have to trust them to eat as much as they want with the comfort of knowing they will fill up on milk and get all the nutrition they need that way anyway. So the amount they eat really isn't important :thumbup:

With things like shepherds pie, I just let LO eat it with her hands but I didn't start these kinds of foods until about 8 months, she wasn't ready before then and preferred to pick up sticks of food. With things like yoghurt and porridge, I load the spoon and hand it to LO who then feeds herself. Some of the girls let LO eat the yoghurt with their hands but I'm not that brave! :lol:

The basis of BLW is not 'helping' LO at all by spoon feeding, putting food in their mouths etc. If you haven't already got it, I'd recommend BLW by Gill Rapley, it's brilliant at explaining the theory behind BLW. Oh and come and join us on the support sticky if you haven't already :hugs:

Aww thanks for that post, very helpfull.:thumbup:
i will have a look on amazon for the book.
My Lo is 8 months and im also getting no where with feeding her, shes not intrested at all!
I may let her try the yougurt with her hands ( should be funny!) although Ive decided to do BLW at the wrong time....just ordered a new carpet!:haha:

I still breastfeed on demand so don't worry too much about what he's eating but I give pre-loaded spoons and stuff, although sometimes I do stick some in his mouth so he gets the idea as he gets giddy at times and just bashes his spoon on the table to make 'fun' noises and the food just flies everywhere so by the time he puts it in his mouth there's nothing on it! He doesn't let me spoon feed him though, I have to put some on my finger or something and then once he realises there's some food going on he's more likely to have a chew on his spoon after I've loaded it.

Kaitlynn used to play with her food and just throw it to the dog! I used to worry she wasn't eating enough but if they are hungry then they will eat.

I feed Rowan sloppy stuff like stewed fruit and custard with a bowl and spoon. If she's feeling poorly or very tired she'll just sit there and let me feed her, but normally she'll take the loaded spoon from me, eat the contents and hand the empty spoon back to be refilled. She's done this ever since we started BLW at just short of 6 months. She's 11 months tomorrow, and it's just starting to cross her mind that she might dip the spoon into the bowl herself. When she's starting to feel full and satisfied, though, she'll usually overturn the bowl and mess the contents around on the high chair tray, usually managing to eat quite a bit more with her fingers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->