BLW - Does it get easier....

littlestar

Proud Mum to a Little Boy
Reaction score
for the spectators? :rofl:

Q is almost 6 months now and we've been blwing for a couple of weeks, mainly as he was ready.

Yesterday he joined in with the family sunday lunch at the in-laws everyone was there inc aunt. uncle, puree fed nephew, great grandma, grandma, grandad, and us. Q had turkey, carrot, mashed potato.

he had a whale of a time, he ate some of each - hubby hasn't really been witness to his eating and was really uptight, uncle was shocked i was giving finger foods and not purees! go figure! they have a one year old still being spoon-fed mashed up food and is rarely allowed the opportunity to feed himself as it's messy!?!

i on the other-hand hand him some cooled food and get on with eating mine! uncle had his dinner get cold whilst he fed nephew dinner, aunt had pudding go cold whilst she fed pudding! at least i still got my food hot!

:lol:

Oh I can't wait for this!! My MIL was commenting on how the grandchild on the other side has only just started feeding himself.. at 2 yrs old! and was in total disbelief that we intend on letting Phoenix do it from word go!! i think its one of those things that until they actually see it for themselves they'll never believe its possible.

I think it's funny that people are still so shocked when they see us doing BLW. My dad knew we were doing it and couldn't figure out how it worked. He then stayed with us and left after his trip saying he thought it was genius that we were doing it and he couldn't understand why anyone spoon fed :dance:

It took a little while for the spectators to get used to it.. and I respected that. They've just never seen it done before, and everything they were ever told is that LO's would choke. So I just smiled and said "it's ok, she's ok, just look how good she does." They eventually got over it. :)

omg I have been so lucky! my family have really been supportive with BLW and love watching Izzie feed herself :D she makes a mess but its nothing that cant be cleaned up!
Sure it will get easier hun :D :hugs:

:happydance:

I love it! my sil's think i'm lazy - i totally agree! why should i need to spend hours cooking an pureeing food and freezing it, for it to get spat out, & wasted! sil commented it was 'such a waste of food' but i'm cooking it for us anyway!!
i'm not buying anything specific with the exception of baby rice cakes etc.

he's never choked! yes, he makes a little mess but it's easily cleaned up!

omg I have been so lucky! my family have really been supportive with BLW and love watching Izzie feed herself :D she makes a mess but its nothing that cant be cleaned up!
Sure it will get easier hun :D :hugs:

We've been exactly the same, all our lot think its FAB :D

My nephews (OH's bro's kids) are funny about food. The little one is about 22 months and will only eat sweet pureed food when he's distracted (e.g. OH was playing with him and had him upside down over his shoulder - kid's dad saw it as the perfect opportunity to feed him pureed apples as he wouldn't eat otherwise!). The older ones (about 5 and 8) are forced by their mum to sit at the table until they've eaten a full portion of food, enough for two adults each. So my in-laws have seen how weird food is in their family so when we explained BLW to them, they were quite approving of the idea.

We've only had dinner there once since we started BLW though cos it annoyed me so much the first time! Every time Leyla put something in her mouth, MIL praised her. When she didn't have something in her mouth she made eating noises and tried to convince her to eat. When Leyla had some food on her chin or tried spitting something out, MIL kept trying to poke it back in her mouth and make her eat it. So she says she agrees with the theory but won't just let Leyla get on with it.

Think I'll wait till Leyla is eating really well before we eat there again. I would LOVE to sit the two little ones (Leyla and nephew) down next to each other and see the amazement on their faces as Leyla eats a proper meal!

Thankfully other than the occasional 'uptightness' he got very little attention. Everyone was more drawn to the nephew having to 'open wide' for the choo choo train!

The difference is incredible!

i love watching aimee eat :D
she loves her sunday dinners, yorkie puds and carrots are her faves tho yesterday i gave her a big chunk of beef (big so she wouldnt ram it all in her gob and choke) she enjoyed chewing on that lol

I never really got funny looks from family but out and about i certainly did, especially when we went on hols and had to order her kids meals, i think they thought she was going to eat the whole thing, of course not she wasn't even a year old and i wouldn;t have given her a full portion but the looks i got :blush:

All our family have been supportive, plus I warned them all how it would be quite messy!I try to always give him "fairly" easy to clean up food when we're out and about!
My mum thought it was hilarious the other day when I said LO was like David Dickinson as he had a completely orange face from eating curry!!!!

whenever we go out for a meal and we ask for a table for 3 we get funny looks, they say what two and the baby, yes but all three of us will be having a meal so we would like a table for 3 please :dohh:

x

oh I'm looking forward to this!

I have just ordered the gill rapley book and your stories make me giggle at the thought of what fun this could be. Much more fun than spoon feeding! I am really looking forward to weaning my little one, introducing foods to her - and the idea that she can feed herself anything (pretty much) and enjoy it to should hopefully give her good attachments to food.

it is great fun but very messy hahaha, i take comfort in the fact that traditional weaning is also messy once you get to the later stages so we all have to go through it so best just to get on with it hahaha

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->