• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BLW vs baby jars hello confusion lol

1st_baby

OK now im confused a little bit lol

IM so intrested in that BLW that im almost tempted to start but max is onyl 3 months old !

Since hes2 months ive been giving him purees of fruits and vegies ..i know deep down its good for him but because of the text books im feeling guilty ..
I now give him the mixed fruits too and he seems to be ok with all of it . IMO
its food and cannot harm in right ? I mean i see what hurts his tummy and stop giving it so..he also gets boob and formula

why is it doctor recomened to feed a baby as young as 4 months in the BLW way ?

please help me understand am i a bad mom for feeding max so early in his life or are all these text books driving me crazy lol

personally I wouldnt BLW at that age.
I have started BLW with Oscar now and he is loving it, but he still gags and the risk of choking is stil real.
I started weaning Oscar just before 4 months and gave him baby rice for 2 weeks then started purees later.
The guidlines of BLW are that bubbs can sit up unaided and support thier heads. That they can pick up and hold food in their fists, the idea is they chose and pick up what they want and that we dont put anything in his mouth, he does it himself.
At 3 months Oscar was able to sit up with help and was very strong but seeing him now, he is so much stronger and able to correct his balance himself :D I dont think he would have coped at 3 months

What's BLW? You aren't supposed to start food before 4 months because it can cause obesity and allergies later in life.

What's BLW? You aren't supposed to start food before 4 months because it can cause obesity and allergies later in life.

Baby led weaning. I didn't know what it stood for either - had to look it up! x

I wouldn't start it until 6 months...

About the food allergies, that can happen no matter what time you start solids...

If your allergic to something nothing will change that.

About the food allergies, that can happen no matter what time you start solids...

That's not correct. Babies digestive systems is not mature enough to protect them from allergies until they are 6 months. That's why if you are going to feed them solids before 6 months, you don't give them things that are common allergies, peas, peanuts, peanut butter. It gets more mature the older they get (obviously) so those foods that are high allergy you wait until their system is fully mature.

Starting foods before 6 months can also cause anemia.

From what I just read on BLW it states that you shouldn't start until baby can feed themselves, I can't imagine that at 3 months they could do that??

That's not correct. Babies digestive systems is not mature enough to protect them from allergies until they are 6 months. That's why if you are going to feed them solids before 6 months, you don't give them things that are common allergies, peas, peanuts, peanut butter. It gets more mature the older they get (obviously) so those foods that are high allergy you wait until their system is fully mature.

From what I just read on BLW it states that you shouldn't start until baby can feed themselves, I can't imagine that at 3 months they could do that??

I was trying to say you could start a certain food at 6 months but they could be allergic to it if you start then or 8 months. How else would you explain children who don't have nuts until 2+ with nut allergies? They have new research that in Eastern countries where their rusks have peanuts etc have very few peanut allergies compared to the Western worlds...I thought it was very interesting :)

Medical advice that's now being challenged by experts worldwide.

Dr Andrew Kemp is Professor of Paediatric Allergy at Sydney's Westmead Childrens Hospital.

"They're now questioning this idea that we should necessarily avoid all foods for a long period in childhood," Professor Kemp said.

"And, in fact, exposure to those foods may be helpful in allowing the person to become tolerant."

So where does this new information come from? Well, experts have looked at Israel, where babies from a young age chew on rusks - just like here, the only difference being their rusks contain peanut protein.

"It was found that peanut allergy in Israel is much less common, even though the children are getting exposed to peanut proteins early in life, than in societies such as the UK, where children aren't exposed to these things as readily and allergy to peanut is increasing very rapidly," Professor Kemp said.

Medical advice that's now being challenged by experts worldwide.

Dr Andrew Kemp is Professor of Paediatric Allergy at Sydney's Westmead Childrens Hospital.

"They're now questioning this idea that we should necessarily avoid all foods for a long period in childhood," Professor Kemp said.

"And, in fact, exposure to those foods may be helpful in allowing the person to become tolerant."

So where does this new information come from? Well, experts have looked at Israel, where babies from a young age chew on rusks - just like here, the only difference being their rusks contain peanut protein.

"It was found that peanut allergy in Israel is much less common, even though the children are getting exposed to peanut proteins early in life, than in societies such as the UK, where children aren't exposed to these things as readily and allergy to peanut is increasing very rapidly," Professor Kemp said.

I agree with this.. my mother started feeding me at 3 weeks old (EEK.. :shock: dont recommend this though) and I'm not allergic to ANYTHING!!
Me and everyone else in my family was fed early, none of us have allergies to anything!!
But, who knows.. could just be that we aren't allergy people :shrug:

I think his research is very interesting, I wouldn't start solids until 5-6 months, personally... But with everything he said, and showed, it's made me want to look further into it! :)

I was trying to say you could start a certain food at 6 months but they could be allergic to it if you start then or 8 months. How else would you explain children who don't have nuts until 2+ with nut allergies? They have new research that in Eastern countries where their rusks have peanuts etc have very few peanut allergies compared to the Western worlds...I thought it was very interesting :)

Sorry about that, I definitely agree with that. I think if you are allergic, you are allergic. I would be very interested in seeing the research on that as well. I often wonder about things like that, I wonder if because the mothers eat a lot of peanuts (I don't know that, just guessing) that it gets passed onto the babies and they have a greater tolerance for it. I thought about this with very spicy food, such as Indian food. When I eat it, Bella is miserable the next couple of days, but their children must have a tolerance to it.

Sorry about that, I definitely agree with that. I think if you are allergic, you are allergic. I would be very interested in seeing the research on that as well. I often wonder about things like that, I wonder if because the mothers eat a lot of peanuts (I don't know that, just guessing) that it gets passed onto the babies and they have a greater tolerance for it. I thought about this with very spicy food, such as Indian food. When I eat it, Bella is miserable the next couple of days, but their children must have a tolerance to it.

Don't be sorry, I just wanted to make myself clear... I've been looking into what different women eat all around the world when pregnant. A lot of these foods were are told not to eat when pregnant. And makes me ask why? Don't eat peanuts, certain cheeses, raw fish (sushi) certain meats, spicy foods, the list goes on. But if we look at what other countries are eating, it's confusing!

OK well this was max's schedual

2 months - rice cereal (hated it) so we stopped

2 months - oatmeal (loved it ) and still has some 2 times a day am=pm

3 months - fruits ( peaches, pears, apples, banana) all good except peaches they hurt his tummy so we stopped

3 months -vegies ( peas, carrots, butternut squash, sweet potatoe ) all good except carrots he hates them so i need to work on those lol

now hes almost 4 months and is getting mixed fruits and vegies , plus his 32 onz of milk per day half BF and half formula

From what my DR has told me is each baby is diff and there body is aswell ,,if both parents have allergies then its recomended to BF until at least 6 months ..since both of us are healthy as horses then we decided to feed lil man more food ..I wont start the BLW only because im parinoid on choking .

I say feed your child how you wish without going too far .. I stick to the jars that are made for stage 1 (0-3 months) and it does say that on the jar lol and he gets 3-6 months now Stage 2 .

BTW the only thing im worried about is those mixed cereals I think i will stick to oatmeal alone for a lil while

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->