BLW

JadeyB

Mummy of 2 (1 Angel baby)
Reaction score
Hi there, just posted this in weaning but thought it might be better placed here.

I didnt do BLW with my son as I didn't learn about it until he was 7 months. I did use a BLW approach from then and didn't feed him anything myself.

I love the idea and always thought I would BLW my 2nd from the beginning. However she was born 10 weeks early and I've been advised to start weaning ASAP because she has very severe reflux.

I think she is emotionally ready for food. She watches while we are eating, licks her lips etc. obviously she is not physically ready.

Anyone been in a similar boat and offered purées until they are able to feed themselves.

Any advice gratefully received. X

When it comes to preemies, BLW isnt appropriate as they do not have the motor skills to handle solid foods, especially at your LO's age, they arent physically ready. TW is normally advised when dealing with preemies. I'm sure you could introduce solid things later on down the line however (at corrected age)

https://www.bliss.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Weaning.pdf

Alex was weaned at 20 weeks actual in purées. Now that he's 6 months corrected he has the motor skills to be able to feed himself so I am offering purées as well as finger foods which I am gradually increasing so that eventually he will only be eating food which he has fed himself x

I did blw with my preemie (28weeker)

U can do it if ur willing to wait till they r 6m corrected. I did introduce baby rice etc from 4m corrected as she was getting interested in food but when she hit just over 5.5m corrected I introduced blw and she took to it perfectly.

She's been a great eater and has been able to eat anything from a very young age, got some strange looks though because she's very small for her age so people looked shocked seeing her eating sandwiches etc

I did traditional weaning - we started at 7 months (4 months corrected) then at 5.5 months corrected I just switched to finger foods without really doing the mushy bit in between. Once he was at that 5.5/6 month stage he just had everything we ate (without honey, raw egg etc) but I did keep spoon feeding things like mashed potato, soups, sauces etc more because I wasn't patient enough than because of his skills!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->