body hang ups in labour

laura109

Reaction score
My biggest worry about labour at the min is displaying myself. I have really strong legs and i exercised alot before pregnancy to keep them toned. But now there fat and wobbly and i have stretch marks even on my calves. Inner thighs are covered. Ive got cellulite too.

I know how silly i sound but i am so worried about it as i never go swimming or wear shorts because i feel so unattractive. Its an issue ive had for years. Pregnancy is also making me grow hairs in random places

Im hoping when my contractions start i can veet and shave before we leave.

anyone else nervous about this. I know i wont care once im in full labour.

is there a way you can keep covered up till you need to push?

Trust me, you won't care when you are in pain but:
You can stay covered with blankets until pushing time (if you have an epidural you wont be able to get outta bed anyway). As a ftm, we worry about many trivial things. I'm a third timer here and by now I know what ever helps me get this baby here is what I'll do. The workers in the hospital and birthing centers are professionals and have seen it all. Plus, you more than likely will never see any of these people again (except your doc/midwife/nurse).
If you feel up to veet or shaving when the first contractions start, then go for it. It'll help keep your mind occupied between contractions but be careful.
Best of luck!

Thank you. Have all your midwives etc been supportive reassuring etc? X

believe me when i say you just wont care lol but yes you should have time to shave ect once you start to get contractions or near your due date have a pamper day x

Every person I have come in contact with this pregnancy has been super supportive. Hope everything goes well for you.
Oh, and I've had many "false alarms" /contractions that fizzled out so my legs have been fairly smooth for the last few weeks!lol!
Just a little piece of advice: If you think actually starting/time don't get in the shower or tub right away to shave cause the warm water can stop some ladies' labor by relaxing the muscles too much (at least it does for me)
But when contractions are.less than 10 minutes apart it usually pretty safe (as long as your water has not broke)

Thank you. Have all your midwives etc been supportive reassuring etc? X

I told my midwife at my second birth that i don't enjoy stripping off and that at my first birth the midwife told me I'll need a pad so pulled my pants forward and shoved her hand while holding a pad down my pants to put it in place. I felt so violated! !!

But anyway at my second birth the midwife was really lovely about those kinds of things once she was aware. I had my pants on right until pushing stage and she asked politely while i was having horrendous contractions if i would like some help taking off my pants or if I'm okay by myself. She was very respectful and understanding. just tell them how you feel. You don't have to say you have body hang ups just tell them you're a bit shy and self concious.

I was the same way the first time around. Then I didn't have time for an epidural and went natural. I was covered until they recommended a shower and by the time I got in and stayed in for a bit I felt like I had to poop which meant it was time. So I just walked from shower to bed naked and started pushing. I got dressed after she was out. I was totally embarrassed that I did that but the nurses were so nice and just said "honey, we've seen everything - we don't even notice these things anymore". Felt instantly better because it's true. How many naked bodies, vaginas, boobs and things related to birth like peeing pooping blood water breaking etc have they seen before you came along? Haha tons.

With my second I had an epi so I was covered the whole time until pushing and then right after. I didn't shower or shave either time directly before coming in as I honestly had 1 goal of getting baby out I didn't care if I had stubble lol.

Good luck, you'll be fine no matter how it goes :)

Doctors and midwives are used to seeing normal human bodies, so you should be fine. I haven't shaved since the summer of 2006, and I certainly don't plan to start now for the sake of my midwives. At most, I'll just take a shower if I haven't taken one within a day or two. I work from home, so I often skip showers...

Don't worry, you can stay pretty well covered throughout the labour. You need to let them check how dilated you are etc. but you don't have to have everything 'hanging out' as it were - even when pushing you have a gown on so you get to preserve a bit of modesty! As you say though, you really won't care when you're in labour - you'll have far more important things on your mind!

I was really stressed last time that I might have to have a catheter or pee in a bedpan and was adamant I wouldn't have either. Well, baby getting distressed following induction put paid to all that. I was stuck on a bed, on a monitor, for the entire labour. Not even allowed off the bed to go for a wee! Had to have an epidural because I was given syntocinon so not only did I have to use the horrid bedpan (so embarrassing!) but I eventually ended up with a catheter too - which actually was better than having to wee in the bed pan!

Good luck!

I'm sort of worried about the same things. I know the midwife has seen things before, and has studied to do just this thing, but it's still embarrassing from a not-in-labour perspective.

Exactly. I hate the fact my stretch marks are covering my inner thighs. I worry they will take the pee out of me to other staff. Lol x

They won't care and I doubt you will by that point anyway but you can stay clothed right to the end.
In another thread I saw someone said they wore a long flowing skirt in labour and if that's something that might make you more comfortable then tryb that.
You could also wear tie side knickers so they can be removed at the very last minute.
Xx

Until I got pregnant no one but my husband (we met when I was 16) had ever seen my bits and I had refused smears or anything like that because I wasn't happy to be on any way naked near a stranger.

During labour and stitching up afterwards you seriously could have driven a tour bus through my room and pointed out the sights and I would not have cared in the least :D

Thanks girls. I know i cant be that bad lol. I will keep covered till i need to not be xx

Try not to worry! Nobody will be looking and judging you over these things. The nurses and doctor will not even notice, as they are focused on your healthy delivery. I have worked in health care for a decade and we don't think this way or talk about patients in this manner. I am due in February and I KNOW that I am overweight to begin with and it has never crossed my mind to feel self conscious because it is their profession to help us through the delivery process and they regularly see patients of all shapes and sizes. I definitely believe that no one will notice your calves, as they are staring at your "hoo-ha" waiting for that baby to be pushed out! To me, that is a little more pride-reducing.
All you need to think about is your little baby!

I'm going to agree with Wannabe here. I'm typically so body shy that when I had a job that required me to shower out with a locker room full of other women, that I mastered to art of undressing underneath a tiny towel to avoid exposing my bits to anyone... after labor and all the checks involved in the whole process, honestly I didn't have the mental capacity to care. Also, unless they are currently checking your cervix, you'll be covered up until you have to push anyway. Try not to dwell on it. I PROMISE this will be the farthest thing from your mind (this coming from the girl so terrified of pooping in front of my oh that I asked/apologise between every push... until the only thought was getting that baby out. Then I couldnt care less lol)

I don't have any problems with the way my bits look, but didn't want anybody other than my husband seeing them. Needless to say, once the pain kicked in I couldn't have cared less. Mr Blobby could have delivered my baby and I wouldn't have batted an eyelid :shrug:

I had my baby in nov 6 weeks ago and I didn't care one jot wot I looked like mind you I went from zero to baby in arms in 69 mins so didn't have time to care ! Was in a short t-shirt with no bottoms on lol with hubby following me with the tank of gas and air lol so don't worry wot you look like Hun cause no one else will be . Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->