Books for 2 yr olds.

Becky61

Mummy & TTC #2
Reaction score
My friends daughter will be 2 next month. Whenever she comes to my house, she goes straight to the bookcase with my sons books on, & sits for ages looking at them.

I would like to get her books/a set of books for her birthday, but im not sure what 2 yr olds would like.

Board books? Paper paged books? My son would rip paper books but would a 2 yr old? My son is 15 months old & loves pop up books & lift the flap books.

Suggestions very welcome x

She's not quite 2 yet but even so DD loves books and has never ripped them. She likes the traditional favourites like The very hungry caterpillar and The Gruffalo, but she particularly loves books that are interactive. Her all time favourite is a book called "Terrible Trolls" by Delphine Durand that her Dad bought her - she loves the rhyming story, silly words and it has lots of bits to pull, stroke and even smell! She brings it to me to read so often I know it off by heart:haha:

for her 2nd birthday i got my daughter a board book. the hungry caterpiller & the zoo, so they wernt just one word per page but they were board so she couldnt rip them.

flap books were good too & also the 'thats not my....' range of books too, again board books but more than one word per page. plus they have textures etc.. she still reads these now at 3. x

My daughter is 20 months old, but is a HUGE fan of the Mr. Men and Little Miss series books. I'll be buying her more for her 2nd birthday for sure.

Peepo, Burgurlar Bill, Cops & Robbers, Funny Bones... You know what just any book by the Alhbergs! Rory also enjoys being read Harry Potter and Roald Dahl books, though I have no idea how much he understands.

My daughter wouldn't have ripped pages by her second birthday (she did when she was younger). If she's happy sitting looking at your lo's books intently then I'd say she's ready for paper pages.

At that age my DDs favourite books were Night Monkey Day Monkey, Peepo, the Acorn Wood books.

My daughter adores julia donaldsons books, for example the gruffalo, room on the broom and tabby mctat been her favourate. Ive yet to meet a child who doesent like her books

Also recomend Julia Donaldson. We love room on a broom my son can recite the whole thing now!

I think my son has every book ever published lol, he actually has more than me. I love just going to water stones and browsing what there is. DS tends to like short books that you can read in one go, I have a couple of story book collections or bedtime stories with chapters but he doesn't understand I can't read it all at once to him lol. You can't go wrong with Julia Donaldson books.

My FIL has started collecting Usborne see it all books, they are beautiful but I'm keeping them out the way ATM as they have flaps and DS just rips them...I can't wait until he's old enough for Horrible Histories, even if their historical accuracy is sometimes dubious :haha:

Both of my boys LOVE the Critter books collection, and it comes in board books and regular books. My younger son is not quite 2, but honestly, he can't be trusted with paper books without supervision. I'd say it depends on the child you are buying for whether to trust buying paper books, or stick to board books. If she is generally good with the books at your house when she is looking through them, she is probably fine with regular books.

My LO loved julia donaldson (well, he still does) but his favourites at 2 were chocolate mousse for greedy goose, squash and a squeeze and rosies hat.
He also loved the tiger that came to tea and the Mog books by Judith Kerr which you can buy nice little sets of.

My LO likes Julia Donaldson books and Jane Hissey books. He handles paper books fine. He also likes hungry caterpillar and the tiger who came to tea and we're going on a bear hunt.

Another vote for Julia Donaldson. The Tiger Who Came to Tea and Mog books by Judith Kerr are favourites, also Mr. Men and Acorn Wood collections are short and simple, captured Louis' attention. At 2 he wasn't ripping pages although I like board books as his little brother loves to destroy books :haha:

Another Julia Donaldson fan here! We have most of her books and DS2 LOVES them! He's three but we've been reading these to him since before he was two. I think at two if a child can sit happily and listen to the whole story they are unlikely to rip the pages.

Our favs are The Gruffalo, and Room on the Broom, and Superworm!

My boys also like the books by Ian Beck- The Teddy Robber, and Teddy Lost on the Beach.

x

My LO is 16 months and in the last 2 months I guess has stopped ripping paper books (although he still might occasionally). He's totally book obsessed.

Some of his favorites (if you need authors let me know):
Bizzy Bear series (has moving parts)
Little Blue Truck series
Pigs Love Potatoes
I Love You Through and Through
Come Along Daisy
Goodnight Goodnight, Construction Site
I Like Me!
Giraffes Can't Dance
Knuffle Bunny

A few authors he likes:
Karen Katz (simple flaps)
Sandra Boynton

He also likes ones with pictures and a word and has me tell him what each picture is, but he isn't speaking much so I think he's just building his vocabulary. She may not like those if she's speaking a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->