bottle feeding advice plz

nicksi27

Reaction score
Hi ladies im being induced on sunday and im planning on bottle feeding for various reasons. Ive bought HiPP organic first infant milk and im just after a bit of advice .... Do you make up bottles in advance? How do you store bottles/heat them up? And do you just put the correct amount of boiling water into the bottle then add the formula when needed?

thanks in advance ladies. As you will probably guess, ive never done this before!

It used to be that you could make bottles 24 hours in advance as long as they were chilled and once brought to room or drinking temp should be disposed of after an hour but now I believe the guidelines say that you should add the powdered milk to boiled water when you need it and dispose of after an hour so take some bottles with boiled cooled water and add your milk when baby is hungry there are containers you can buy with compartments on them so you can measure out your milk and then just pour into bottle it is one scoop of milk to one ounce of water so if baby drinks four ounces it would be four scoops

Hope this helps xx

You can make bottles up a bit in advance but they must be used that day. Store in the fridge. I found it easier to boil water in the morning and then keep it (just in a water bottle on the counter) to make up bottles when needed. In the beginning when you are demand feeding there is nothing worse than trying to cool just boiled water while your baby screams his lungs out. Reduces you to tears! You heat a bottle by putting it in hot water. No microwaves as they heat unevenly and it's very easy to make it too hot! Although I was mean, my babies got room temp bottles from quite early as waiting for a bottle to heat up in the middle of the night with a yelling baby wasnt fun! Don't shake as that puts air into it which gives baby a sore stomach, winding is hard enough without adding more air! Just kinda swirl it around. To test the temp shake a few drops onto your wrist, should be luke warm. You always put the water in first, then the powder. If you put the powder first you will use too little water and that makes it too rich, gives you a sick or constipated baby. Hope that helps!

I've never really understood how you do it when you go out. They as you have to make up formula with almost boiling water to kill the bacteria in the formula but also that you can only keep made up formula for a hour.

I weaned my daughter onto bottles at 6 months last time and always struggled with how it was meant to be done so will follow this post!

In the UK all of the formula companies have reformulated their formula powders to be designed to be made up at 70 degrees c and no less, at lower temperatures they risk not mixing properly and this could cause tummy upset. There is also a food poisoning risk as there isn't yet a sterile method of manufacturing powdered milk and this includes formula milk. Hipp used to be the exception but have now been ordered to put their formula back to how it was, remove the probiotics from any future product and change the making up instructions back to how they were; so once the current stock is finished in shops their formula will follow the same guidelines as well. If out and about there are two options, bring the formula powder in a small tub or dispenser and a flask with hot boiled water or the other option is using ready made cartons xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->