Bottle/pump recommendations for a newbie

PandaMao

Mom to 1
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm currently pregnant with my first and I plan to breastfeed, but I have to go back to work after 6 weeks (grrr US maternity leave) so I'll be pumping and baby will be bottle fed when at work. I'm so confused on pumps and bottles so I wondered what your ladies experiences have been. I'm worried about nipple confusion so I wondered what bottles/nipples worked well for your little one when switching between breast and bottle. Basically I'm overwhelmed and need help.

I used tommee tippee. They have these teats with a cross on the top that are supposed to stimulate the flow of breast but i cant remember what they are called. The pump was fine but not amazing. I found that the tube kept coming off the electric one. I was impressed with the manual one but i started getting cramps.

how much money do you have to spend on a pump? I have a medela freestyle and love it! It was pretty pricey, but it's definitely worth it. My first was fine with the avent bottle and slow flow nipple when i went back to work, but my second is struggling! I can't find any bottle she will take so we are trying out all of them until i find one she will take.

Thanks ladies. I don't really have any restrictions on spending for a pump, but I don't want to spend more than I have too. I'm pretty sure I want a double electric, but there is a very wide range in prices.

I have the ameda lactaline duo which is a double electric and really like it :) and I use tommee tippee bottles but my LO will take any bottle, she's not fussy where her milk comes from at all :haha:

Thanks Brandy. I actually did contact my insurance after making this post so I have done options to research. It's all do confusing lol.

It's great that insurance covers pumps but if your insurance is like mine, it is a different kind of hassle! My insurance will cover any pump 100%, the only restriction is that it has to be purchased by a company they are contracted with and there are tons of them to sort through! They have a list of supply companies and pharmacies but not a list of ones that carry breast pumps so I had to contact each one individually and ask if they carry pumps and which ones. Such a pain!

The lactation consultant I worked with gave me a list of which companies carried the most commonly chosen pumps which helped. I narrowed it down to the Ameda Purely Yours and the Hygeia Q based on her recommendations and what I read about them (although I did consider the Medella line as well since it is most popular in my area). I choose the Hygeia but don't have it yet as I got it from a company out of state and have to wait for it to be shipped.

We haven't used a bottle yet, I want to wait till she is 4 weeks before introducing a bottle. I got an Avent as a freebie from somewhere so will likely try it out. Others that I have seen highly recommended for breastfed babies and plan to try are Tommee Tippee closer to nature, Comotomo and Dr. Brown.

I use the Medela Pump In Style and I really like it! As far as bottles, we have used the Dr. Brown's with the preemie nipple (the nipple they come with is a size 1), at the recommendation of a lactation consultant. The slower flow is supposed to more similar to the flow from the breast. A girl from the La Leche League meetings I go to uses and highly recommends the breastflow bottle, which she said she got on Amazon. I haven't tried it.

A little tip we learned from a doctor we saw that specializes in feeding problems in infants... when using a bottle to simulate being on the breast, you can tip the bottle down so that no milk is in the nipple. The baby will suck, but not swallow (so they're not swallowing air), simulating the sucking a baby has to do before a let-down comes on. You can then "reward" the baby with the milk, like a let-down. If the baby seems to be gulping down milk too quickly, it's another good way to slow baby down without having to pull the bottle away. Might be a good thing to learn to teach your caregiver for when you are back at work.

Good luck pump and bottle shopping! I think there are many great options out there, you'll find what works best for you.

I never had much luck with pumping and bottle feeding but I gave up fast and didn't HAVE to do it.
but, anyways, I think yhat whole nipple confusion is sort of like a myth. Well some ppl would argue there's no such thing.
I think you should be concerned about finding a good slow bottle. Both my sister and sister in law gace up on breastfeeding because their babies got frustrated with how slow their milk flow was compared to a bottle.

I use the Medela pump and Medela Calma nipples for bottles.

I like my tommee tippee electric pump. But i havent got any experience with others. It works well for me so far x

Well, my daughter came super early so she is in the nicu. I've been pumping using an Ameda Elite that I'm renting from the hospital, but I have to order one through my insurance. Will be looking tomorrow to see which ones are available. As for bottles, I know I won't have a choice for awhile as right now she is tube fed and they'll bottle feed her with whatever they use there. Hoping to breast feed still obviously, but I know I won't be able to do all her feeds for quite awhile. I'm just going to play it by ear and hope for the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->