• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Boxing, UFC, Martial arts....

redpoppy

Reaction score
A post from the hunting thread made me think: Are these things (fighting matches) a horrible reflection of how modern society has not progressed at all or are they enjoyable sports which are in the nature of man to participate and compete in and with informed consenting adults and with rules are something society and individuals should be free to participate in and promote?

:flower:

It's nature of man to compete with others and become the best. Physical domination is as far back in our history as anything.

Honestly, the amount of skill, passion and dedication that these atheltes put into their work makes it an art form to me. A pure, undiluted version of the physical urge within us all, taking us back to days gone by. An animalistic rage, making us no better than them, but seperating us from them because we know our limits, we willingly take part and we know when to stop before anything happens.

My OH is a brilliant thai kick boxer (he isnt thai himself but trains in it and has been to thailand to fight with fighters out there). I hate violence myself but I really do see most of these martial arts as that... art. The strength and dedication they put into it is amazing. And boy are they fit! lol

I don't like boxing for whatever reason I'm less averse to martial arts. I suppose I think the latter demonstrates a certain degree of skill and finesse that the former doesn't. Boxing just seems violent and dangerous to me.

What's UFC?

I don't like boxing for whatever reason I'm less averse to martial arts. I suppose I think the latter demonstrates a certain degree of skill and finesse that the former doesn't. Boxing just seems violent and dangerous to me.

What's UFC?

UFC is mixed martial arts. SO there's wrestling, boxing, kicking and all sorts. You have to be pretty tough and pretty fit to compete.

Do you know why you see boxing as more violent and dangerous? :shrug: Just a question....

I guess boxing comes across as mostly punching but martial arts seem to have more technique and discipline, trickier movements. Just my perception I suppose. But I quite like fencing, learning to use tools and some martial arts do that, fighting with sticks and whatnot. Maybe boxing feels kind of primative, basic in comparison. There seems to be a lot of injury associated with boxing, long term brain damage, but professional martial arts seem to be different. I don't know if it's true but loads of kids learn martial arts but not boxing so perhaps there's something in it.

I'm quite a fan of a good boxing match, and my work has links to boxing and martial arts so I guess I have a vested interest. Martial arts... well DH has a black belt in tae kwon do, but tbh I find it a bit pants to watch. There is a lot of skill and technique involved in all of them.

I have more of an issue with UFC as it seems to be more of a 'no rules' style of contest. I feel that if people are going to have an organised fight there should be enough rules to stop it just being a glorified street brawl.

O/T but this thread made me think of a leaflet that came through the door the other week... for MARITAL arts - oops! :dohh:

I feel like it's a throw-back to gladiator times and I find the entire culture of UFC disgusting, quite frankly. It's got a lot more to do with ego and machismo than sport, in my opinion.
Do I think it should be shut down? No, but there is a medical association in Canada that does. A group of doctors who are getting pretty tired of treating the nasty injuries from UFC - so maybe it is "more violent" than boxing. I don't know.
I agree that it's between consenting adults and all that, but I find it pretty lowest common denominator, myself. Nothing about it attracts me.

I'm quite a fan of a good boxing match, and my work has links to boxing and martial arts so I guess I have a vested interest. Martial arts... well DH has a black belt in tae kwon do, but tbh I find it a bit pants to watch. There is a lot of skill and technique involved in all of them.

I have more of an issue with UFC as it seems to be more of a 'no rules' style of contest. I feel that if people are going to have an organised fight there should be enough rules to stop it just being a glorified street brawl.

O/T but this thread made me think of a leaflet that came through the door the other week... for MARITAL arts - oops! :dohh:

But I thought there were rules in UFC? :shrug:

Also, I find it ends up being a lot of wrestling :haha: which look quite funny. :blush:

Although I don't understand it boxing does seem more violent...

I suppose my take on it is that there need to be stringent rules and regulations and if someone beats someone to death or damages them there need to be more repercussions. For example, when boxers wrap their hands and add plaster inserts so that their opponent gets hurt. Both the boxer and the coach need to have criminal convictions for stuff like that.

Having said that, consenting adults... And I think there is an art to boxing... it's just that it's quite brutal...

Don't like boxing/cage fighting because of the damage it can cause to the brain, but martial arts are cool, lots of skill involved. It doesnt have to be all violence :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->