Brain scan/ MRI scan whilst pregnant?

NikiJJones

Mummy to a magical boy
Reaction score
Has anyone else had to have a brain scan or MRI scan whilst pregnant? I'm 23 weeks and have just been referred to a Neurologist and for an MRI brain scan because I had a brain hemmorhage when I was younger. Apart from being terrified of the whole process, I'm also worried about the potential effects on my baby. I've been doing some internet research this morning, and it seems to say that I shouldn't have one unless it is completely necessary.
Wondered if anyone can shed any light on this?

I thought MRIs were relatively safe while pregnant, though I don't know for certain. I think they sometimes use them as an alternative to CT scans (which use radiation) for pregnant women and even sometimes use them to diagnose problems with the baby before it's born. If it's your brain they're scanning, I would have thought that the baby wouldn't really be in the magnetic field much anyway. I just did a bit of googling and I found that one thing of concern is the use of the contrast agents, which they might inject you with. Certain types are to be avoided because they can cross the placenta to the baby.

If you have the MRI scheduled before you see the neurologist, you could ring up the scanning department in advance. They're normally very good at answering questions and if they're concerned, they would move your scan till after you've seen the doc to discuss it.

Sometimes, even if there is a small risk, it's a case of weighing up the risk versus the benefit. How necessary is it? If it is necessary, they can try to reduce the risks, maybe by using different contrast agents or maybe they can shield the baby?

Sorry I can't be much more help.

Im not sure chick :hugs::hug:, hope you get get some answers xx

They aren't safe..that's for sure. MRI's contain radiation which of course is no good for baby. If you HAVE to have one it should be after the 1st trimester and before the 3rd....so in second trimester. B/c baby is delevloped already and vital organs are in place.

I had two CT scans with my first pregnancy which is just a bit different then an MRI but still unsafe for the same reasons.

I have had 4 CT scans, 2 MRI"s and 2 x rays with my second.

Also I even had surgery and been put totally under with both as well!:(

i can tell you that it's a scary thing and you dont want to do it.but if the benifits outweighs the risk then you should do it.

I had mine because of a PE and blood clots, pneumoina, and the surgery was appedix and kidneys.

talk to your doctor more about it sweetie and they can give you more info.

Both of my boys have been through alot when i was pregnant and they are completly healthy little boys!!!:) So that should make you feel better!

Take care and sorry you have to go through this..MRI's are the worst..i cant breathe in there!!!

Oh btw....they will for sure shield you and I just of course noticed that it's a head MRI which won't really affect baby at all!:) YAY!....Contrast I believe is not to bad for baby...goes right through you system and you urinate it out.

Thanks for your replies. To be honest, I don't think it is necessary for them to do it. They are looking for something which happened when I was 7 years old. Even ten years after the events my scans were "inconclusive", and I should imagine they will just tell me the same nearly 20 years on. I think this is a case of doctors trying to cover their backs. Thanks for all the advice. I reckon I'm going to try to avoid it at all costs to be honest. I'm fairly certain they have to use contrast dye due to the ares of the brain and type of hemmorhage I had (they always had to in the past) and that definitely does not sound like a good idea for baby, so I think I am going to steer well clear!

Hi Girls, im new on here and i need to tell you about the MRI scan i had two weeks ago.
I didnt know i was pregnant, at the time of the scan i would of been 3 weeks.
The scan was of my head due to bad headaches. When i realised i was pregnant i was really worried about the effects of the mri on my unborn baby. I went straight to the doctors who didnt really have a clue what could happen. He transfered me to an OB vut the eaiting list is very long. I decided to go private. I phoned the ob secretary and explained what had happened, she advised she would speak to the consultant and see what he said, she also advised that i would need to pay £170 for an hour long consultation. When she called me back and told me the ob wanted to see me the next day i was in complete panic. I then called my anti-natal clinc to see how long it would be to get seen on the NHS. She asked for my details to be faxed and would make me an appointment. The appointment with the private ob was for wednesday at 3pm, at 1.30pm on the same day the receptionist from the anti-natal clinc called me back to say she had spoke to the consulatant and he has tol me not to worry AT ALL, there is minimal risk to the baby from the MRI and everything should be fine, I cancelled the private ob appointment at once and im disgusted that they would stress me out all so they could tell me at the £170 consultation that everything is fine. I also went into hospital with stomach pain so they ran the hcg tests which were 577 on wednesday, 4 weeks 4 days preg and today they are 1145, 4 weeks 6 days preg. The scan they performed didnt really show much as im so early in pregnancy but it did show a small sac where it should be hopefully, im going back next week for another scan. All in all, everyting is fine, especially when it came to the MRI, so anyone who is worried please dont be, and if you still are, be nice to the recpetionist at you anti-natal clinc and they will find out all you need to no.

i work in medicine - MRIs do not use radiation and are low risk. Preferential than any other investigation barring the ultrasound. Don't worry - the risk of you being "unwell" far out weighs the scan risk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->