Breakfast?? Any Easy, Quick, Ideas?

Bunnikins

Reaction score
:flower:
Just wondering what other little ones are having for breakfast?

My girl weaned at 6 months. I started off BLW but now give her a few spoonfuls of puree at lunch and dinner time just so she actually has something in her tummy cos she doesnt actually swallow a lot of the finger foods!

For breakfast shes tried various cereal type things, baby cereal with different flavours, baby rice, ready brek, even a bit of weetabix, but she doesnt like them & gets angry.

The only think she'll have is a nibble of toast finger.

It doesnt seem very nutritious though. Shes not a big eater so i try to make sure the little that DOES go in is good for her... especially because she also isnt a big milk drinker.

Any ideas for quick finger foods or spoon fed foods for breakfast that are nutritious for a 6 mth old? Or do most 6-7 mth olds not even bother with breakfast??

I often put a little fruit purée in porridge so he didn't get bored of it. He sometimes had pancakes with strawberries (sometimes strawberry jam) or crumpets were and still are a big hit...

I always give either toast, pancakes, or waffles (pancakes and waffles freeze REALLY well so they are super easy in the morning). I also give her either fruit or yogurt with it. Blueberries, grapes, pineapple, and mandarin orange slices seem to be the winners for us. There are enough combinations that she doesn't seem to get bored with it.

Since about 8 or 9 months I have been letting her choose from two choices and it has resulted in much less wasted food. If I am giving her a choice of toast or waffles I will hold up the package of bread and the bag of frozen waffles and she will point to the one she wants. I have no idea if she was capable of making a choice earlier on or not but she took to it right away.

At 6 months, it really doesn't matter what they're eating in terms of quantity and you'll want to prioritise her milk over solids anyway as you said she isn't a big milk drinker (more solids tends to mean less milk), so don't stress about how much she's eating in terms of solids. I would just carry on as you are offering all the things you've already mentioned. Most babies won't like them at 6 months and my daughter didn't really eat because she enjoyed eating (it was just play and exploring) until about 9 months. So she has plenty of time to get used to those tastes and textures and you don't need to worry. But if you'd like extra ideas, try adding different things on the toast fingers - hummus, cream cheese, cashew butter, mashed avocado/banana (separately as well as together) were all great for us. They're also calorie dense and have lots of good fats, which is exactly what she needs if she isn't eating much. Yogurt with fruit for dipping is great, as is a banana or apple slices with a nut butter spread on it. Scrambled eggs or an omelette work well too. It's not really quick and easy, but on the weekends, we do pancakes and eggy bread.

Thanks for the fab ideas. I've given up on breakfast for the time being and will try again when shes older but will be trying these suggestions :)

DD has mostly finger foods apart from if we need to be somewhere early then she is spoon fed cereal.

We have toast fingers with different toppings (banana, avacado, cream cheese, butter). Crumpet fingers, homemade banana pancakes (1 banana and an egg - simples!) or sometimes she will just eat a whole banana or half an avacado for breakfast.

Have you tried cereal like shreddies, mini shredded wheats, cheerios etc? You can soak them in milk then she can pick them up with her fingers :)

Easy breakfasts she loves are eggs, spinach, and toast; oatmeal with fruit, yogurt and fruit, and cereal and fruit.

Our LO loves his toast and he has some every morning. He also has with it either a banana, cheese and fruit (loves grapes) , or a yogurt.

It's a good breakfast for us because he is able to self feed allowing us to busy about. (We both work)

Porridge, youghurt, toast, bread and butter, anything really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->