Breast feeding...again! lol

Layla

Reaction score
Sorry guys,

Just want to understand this in my mind.

Im thinking now about getting the single cheaper breastpump instead of teh expensive double one.

I have seen alot of you talk about a let down thing that happens when you breast feed, can someone explain to me what that is? and does it affect what pump you get?

Will a basic one like this still be ok?

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/medela-mini-...ryZ66676QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks, sorry for asking again

x

The letdown is a reflex that occurs when it's stimulated (which can be from hormones when you hear your baby cry, by the baby suckling or by a pump), when you get a letdown the milk pours out of your boobs. You might have several letdowns per pumping session or per feed.

The idea is that if the pump is good at stimulating your letdown you'll get a lot more milk out quicker. When the baby is feeding they'll get a lot of milk squirting in their mouths.

So if you're going to do a lot of pumping it's best to get a pump that is efficient at getting your milk out but what works for one person might not work for the next. Lots of women get as much expressed milk as they need by simply hand expressing!

Layla, I had a really basic Avent breast pump last time and It was great, although it made a funny noise!! I got it free from Sure Start....might be worth checking if they still give them away if your in a SS area??
This time round I have bought the Tommee Tippee manual one. Im hoping that it is as good, but like Lucy said, I managed to hand express enough for Charlie in the first day or 2!!

I have the medela swing, that mimics a babies fast sucking at first which stimulates your let down. Then when that happens you press a button which changes to longer pull (don't know how else to describe it) which is like how a babies sucking changes once you've let down. For me I normally let down about 30-60 seconds after Alex has latched on, but in the early days I'd be letting down at totally random things (like stood washing up!). It feels like a tingling/stinging for a few seconds when it happens and my breasts go really hard.

thanks guys, I think i will just get a single electric one then rather than the double.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->