Breast pads, nipple cream? advice?

gingmg

Reaction score
When your nipples were sore and cracked, what worked best for you? Any particular brand of cream work better than others?

Do you use disposable or washable pads? Which disposable brands do you like the best? If you use washable pads, do you use cotton, hemp, or wool and which brands worked the best?

I know I can't prepare for the unknown ahead of time, but I'd like to at least get a few products to use and try out at the beginning.

Also, if you can think of anything that was helpful in the immediate post partum period as far as vaginal healing/care-I'm open to that advice too. Thanks for posting!

I use Lansolin nipple cream. It feels amazing. You also don't have to remove it before breastfeeding. A definite winner for me.
For breastpads I use Advent disposables. I also have some washable ones but am yet to try them. I've also used Johnsons and I really liked them as well. Try and stay away from cheapo brands, trust me. The comfort definitely makes up for the extra cost.
For pp care down there, ice packs! My swelling didn't go down for about a week, so I used these. At the hospital I went to they give them to you to use in there but if your hospital doesn't (and for at home), buy some condoms, fill with water and freeze them. I know that sounds really weird but they're the perfect shape to tuck right in between everything and you'll feel so much better :) (remember to wrap them in toilet paper before using them. I forgot once as LO was crying. My word did I regret it :haha: ) I only received a graze so ice packs were all I needed but the hospital will advise you on what's best if you tear and things like that.
Also, don't use a donut pillow. It puts pressure on the wrong places. Instead, roll up a towel and put it under your thighs and a pillow behind your back for sitting down xox

A tip on nipple cream that my post partum nurse filled me in on...the hospital has small sample tubes of nipple cream. ask for some when u r there (they won't give them out on their own but they will if u ask) they r great to carry around in ur purse or diaper bag ;)

I used Lansinoh nipple cream and it worked really well. My nipples were cracked and bleeding after a couple of days so I put it on several times a day and they were healed within 2-3 days and have been fine since.

I have used both Tommee Tippee and Johnsons disposable breast pads and Johnsons have been the best. I would echo what a PP has said about using cheaper alternatives too, DH went to pick some up for me when I had run out and he came back with Morrisons own brand which were useless!

Finally, don't underestimate the importance of a good fitting nursing bra too. I bought two bras from Mothercare towards the end of my pregnancy and they were awful. They didn't fit properly and were really awkward to feed in as the cup was so thick it kept getting in LO's face. I ended up going to Bravissimo after a few weeks and picked up some much better ones which are really comfortable and offer great support.

X

I use Earth Mama Angel Baby Natural Nipple Butter and Lansinoh disposable pads, but I just ordered some washable ones from ebay...we'll see how they go!

I agree cheap breast pads are rubbish Lansinoh ones and tommee tippee ones are thinner wider and way comfier. Some ppl don't get loadsa leaking but I did and still do 8 months later. I had sections both times. Lansinoh nipple cream is also worth every penny and lasts ages I still have half my one tube left. It is also excellent lip balm and superb at healing cracked heals!!

Never really minded on the disposable breast pads... I didn't have much soreness but for the day or two that it was worst I put a large patch of lansionoh cream on a breast pad and kept those on between feeds, really helped.
I would go with disposables for the first couple of weeks while you're having to cover them in the waxy lansinoh, might be annoying to wash? And after a couple of weeks some people like me find they don't leak much so start needing to use pads less and less. However if you use them a lot still after the first month and it's looking like it will continue, some lovely reusable ones would be a good investment I think :)

I leak a lot and lansinoh breast pads are the only ones that work for me. They are thin but very wide and absorb loads. They have two sticky bits rather than one so stay put as well as you can hope, though I've never found any that didn't move at all!
Lansinoh cream is great too, and I agree that you should ask in the hospital for any free stuff.
I had two sections so can't speak to the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->