breastfeeding after repeat c section

rescuemom82

Reaction score
I am planning to start TTC #2 soon and think my OB will be requiring a repeat c section for medical reasons...my daughter was born after a 32 hour labor and emergency c section.

Anyway we had a lot of problems breastfeeding
(not from the c section but allergies and other things) and could only do 2 months.

I would like to bf any future babies for as long as they naturally want to or will contine. but, i'm worried that having a c section will make it a problem.

any advice?

Its hard to know until you have spoken to a Dr who will look at your notes from last time.

I had a EMCS 2 years ago with DD1 and am 'hopefully' having a VBAC this time with DD2, although I was given an option to have a elective c section(I had a very easy going spontaneous labour but it slowed down, signs of fetal distress and I ended up in theatre twice plus on intensive care so it was quite traumatic after her birth).

It may be that you are allowed a VBAC, but I am sure lots of ladies have been able to breastfeed after a second C Section.....we struggled too breastfeed first time round (managed 6 weeks only) and I am hoping to try breastfeeding again this time.

Good luck in your TTC journey x

I've successfully breastfed after two emcs. There's no reason why havjng a section should affect your baby's feeding. You might want to experiment with positions or using a bf pillow over your wound to make it easier on you. Good luck x

I am currently feeding after my second section and don't think it's really made a difference.

X

I had a c-section after a failed induction with no serious medical issues. Breastfeeding went fine… we're still going! I used the "football" hold for a long time (with baby at my side on top of some pillows). It was tricky and then took me awhile to learn how to nurse normally, but it should definitely be do-able. I would think it's even easier if it's a planned c-section.

A section in itself shouldn't affect breastfeeding - if your section is due to you being ill that could affect it, or if you have a general then it can make baby too drowsy to feed properly for a day or too but you're unlikely to have a general with a planned section. That said I had an emcs under general with my first due to HELLP syndrome, I was close to organ failure, but still bf my daughter without problems to begin with in the hospital (longer term we had major issues but seemingly tongue tie related).

I've had no problems feeding my son who was born by planned section 7 months ago. He's still bf.

I'm on day 10 of BF after 2nd section and all going really well. No issues. Did have some help hand expressing the first couple of days while in hospital but latching really well now.

football hold worked the best for me in the first few day after each of my c sections. good luck first few days are the hardest but it gets easier and totally worth it

I'm BF after my second section last weds.

No problems so far other than the expected sore nipples for the first few days whilst getting his latch to improve.

He's an avid feeder too. In fact he was weighed today and has put on weight since birth rather than losing any! The midwife was very surprised :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->