Breastfeeding and Alcohol

angelandbump

Working Mum :o)
Reaction score
There is so much conflicting information on alcohol intake when breastfeeding.

I'm not a drinker and the last time I consumed alcohol was many years ago but I am getting married in a couple of weeks and would like a glass (or at max 2) of bubbly to celebrate.

I asked the midwife who runs our local baby café who said that is absolutely fine and there is no actual evidence that says bm is effected my small amounts of alcohol but other BF mums say they wouldn't risk it.

xx

I wait 2 hours after 1 glass of wine and then feed. I bought the testing strips and have found that as long as I wait the 2 hours after I finish, my milk is fine!

^^^Do you pump and dump, or just wait two hours?

It is ok to drink one drink at least an hour before you bf I read somewhere (and I've been looking into it too) that by the time the alcohol is out of your system is it out of your breastmilk too. I wish I knew this with my first baby, I wasted so much milk pumping and dumping when I didn't have to. Congrats on getting married!!

^^^Do you pump and dump, or just wait two hours?

No need to pump and dump (unless for comfort) - alcohol leaves breast milk the same way it leaves your blood, so as long as you wait long enough, you're in the clear.

Edit: Just saw pp said the same thing. :)

I waited the first 12 weeks and then felt free to have a drink of wine with dinner provided that there was a cpl hours before feeding DS. Your liver usually processes one alcoholic drink every hour. Of course sometimes DS would surprise feed early and I would feed him anyway. He is three now, hitting all his developmental milestones and has a wonderful nature. I have taken the same approach with DD.

Certainly by ten months I wouldn't be concerned about drinking a wine or two. We got married the day after DS's first birthday, and tbh he fed a lot less than normal because of all the excitement, ppl and food. I only fed him once in my dress and then enjoyed a cpl glasses champagne.

Congratulations on your wedding!!

At that age I wouldn't have had a problem feeding my LO as normal after a drink or two.

If you can drive you can breastfeed. ;)
That's the rule my doctor, LC & many gurus I know follow.
Please don't dump that liquid gold! Even if you get hammered it will filter it's self out eventually. If heavily drinking I would just use some of your freezer stash

ETA: Here in America the legal limit to drive is 0.2% I'm not sure what it is in the UK.

Thanks for the advice ladies.

Bellybump89 I love the advice, I will remember that x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->