breastfeeding and fertility

fashionlover

Reaction score
My husband and I dtd without protection hhafter many months, I gave birth to my daughter via c section on July 19th and am exclusively breast feeding. I was told by my obgyn that I have a 6 week grace period where I would be able to dtd without protection but after that I need to look into a birth control method. I have never taken birth control so I am super hesitant, but also desperate to NOT get pregnant again. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this?

I don't think there's a 6 week grace period. Breastfeeding never completely eliminates your risk of getting pregnant. It is very highly unlikely in the first 6 weeks, sure. But I would look into BC right away if you are desperate not to get pregnant again.

You don't have to take HBC if you don't want to do that (which I understand -- I feel the same way). There are other methods.

I've been on the progesterone only (mini pill) since I gave birth. It's worked great. No weird bleeding or anything. The only issue is remembering it. I plan to get a mirena coil once I stop breastfeeding as I plan to keep it in for the length of time it lasts for. You could go for the injection but that can cause hormonal issues such as weight gain, moods etc and can delay your fertility returning when you stop it. I would never class you as safe at any point after birth. Some women have been known to concieve within weeks of birth.

i'm a supporter of natural family planning and the withdrawal method :)

I used breastfeeding as birth control.

And now I have. 6 week old in addition to my 15 month old. Worked out great in the end but I wouldn't reccomend it as bc because I got pregnant at 4 months pp, first time doing it without contraceptive after period returned and it took us a year to get pregnant with my first.

I used breastfeeding as birth control.

And now I have. 6 week old in addition to my 15 month old. Worked out great in the end but I wouldn't reccomend it as bc because I got pregnant at 4 months pp, first time doing it without contraceptive after period returned and it took us a year to get pregnant with my first.

Wow! Thats amazing! I have researched a bit and it says that you are pretty infertile while breastfeeding up to 3 months. After that your ovulation begins again and your chances of getting pregnant are greater, I took an over the counter ovulation test and it says I am not ovulating, but I have noticed a clear discharge that I have not had since becoming pregnant. I am calling my doctor tomorrow for advice.

also, here is a very helpful link https://kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility/

i wouldnt use breast feeding as birth control.. when i talked to my doctor he said that the change of getting pregnant is less but its not 0 percent so its best to use another form of birth control :)

I use the Marquette method of natural family planning, using the breastfeeding protocol.

So far, 6 months PP and no signs of fertility. We DTD whenever we get the chance and I'm not worried. Of course, the farther and farther we get post-C-section, the less and less worried I get...

I am shooting for at least 9-12 months and when I get to my weight loss goals, but if I don't start ovulating again for a while...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->