Breastfeeding and weaning qu's

thelilbump

♥ mummy to a princess ♥
Reaction score
Hi girls,

Just a few quick qu's if someone could help me please.

I breastfeed my daughter but i have also begun weaning her. Now when did you start offering your baby water? and; when do you offer your LO a breast? After each feed or just inbetween as a snack?

Thanks x

In the beginning just offer the breast as usual (unless you're about to offer solids, in which case offer it after), as she's just starting to get tastes etc and milk will still be her main source of food. As the solids increase, you should find that she wants the breast less often - try and be led by her. BF babies don't need water or juice as they can get a drink from you, but you may want to introduce it - don't be surprised if she's not that interested though.

At 6 months, or when the baby is on 3 meals plus snacks, they do not need as much milk. Offering a bit of water or watered down juice ina sippy wont hurt as it will help her learn to drink from a cup.

Some people prefer to bf only during weaning and there is nothing wrong with that, but from a nutritional aspect, they dont need as much. They also dont really need water or juice, but I think it is more of a learning tool while they are young.

i was just curious because at the moment i'm offering a breast after every feed (she on 2 a day at the moment) but i was wondering whether this offering too much food? I have a drink with every meal and i therefore feel she would like a drink but whether i was better just offering water than a breast i'm not sure x

If she's not hungry, she won't eat. I'd keep offering the breast fairly often until she learns to ask. Brayden is on 3 meals/day and still takes the breast about every 3 hours. As for juice/water, I started giving it to him with meals at about 6 months. However, I breastfeed 1st then do solids/juice/water afterwards.

I was offering my baby water in his cup (from about 5 months) but he didn't take any for ages.

When I started weaning him at 5 1/2 months I gave him solids first (a small taste) then breast, plus he got his usual bottle of formula every morning and breastfed at numerous other times throughout the day. Then after less than 3 weeks he was eating solids really well and eating 3 meals a day so I cut his milk feeds down to a bottle of formula in the morning and 3 breastfeeds. My baby was a very big milk drinker and I just wanted him cut right down, also my HV had said that milk really bloats them and my baby is already massive.

Are you planning to stop bf? Cos if so I would encourage use of the cup. If you're going to keep going it prob doesn't matter much either way.

I was offering my baby water in his cup (from about 5 months) but he didn't take any for ages.

When I started weaning him at 5 1/2 months I gave him solids first (a small taste) then breast, plus he got his usual bottle of formula every morning and breastfed at numerous other times throughout the day. Then after less than 3 weeks he was eating solids really well and eating 3 meals a day so I cut his milk feeds down to a bottle of formula in the morning and 3 breastfeeds. My baby was a very big milk drinker and I just wanted him cut right down, also my HV had said that milk really bloats them and my baby is already massive.

Are you planning to stop bf? Cos if so I would encourage use of the cup. If you're going to keep going it prob doesn't matter much either way.

I'm not planning on stopping breastfeeding completely until Millie is ready. I just don't want to overfeed her either and not entirely sure how i'm supposed to be cutting her breastfeeding down. We've got some sipper cups at the ready but she isn't so keen but we'll keep trying :blush:

I don't think you need to cut the feeding down, just keep offering solids. You'll find that she'll cut down herself. The thing with BF is that they come to you not just for food but also for a drink or comfort, so it can be hard to cut down, at least at this age. Once she gets a bit older you can start distracting her when she asks for the breast - I tended to offer Kaya a drink then some food before allowing her to nurse, the breast was just automatically what she asked for if she was hungry or thirsty, but I didn't do this until she was well established with the solids.

I was sent through the post a hipp organic weaning chart.

1st week
Day 1 & 2 - usual milk feeds AFTER ONE of the feeds offer the tip of a spoonful.
Day 3 & 4 - Usual milk feeds AFTER ONE offer 1-2 teaspoons
Day 5 & 6 - Usual milk feeds AFTER ONE offer 2-4 teaspoons
Day 7 - Usual milk feeds AFTER ONE offer 2-5 teaspoons

2nd Week
All usual milk feeds plus solids at ONE or TWO feeds per day.

3rd Week
All usual milk feeds plus solids at TWO meals per day.

4th Week
All usual milk feeds plus solids at TWO or THREE meals per day.

On this chart it says to feed solids AFTER the milk....but do whatever way works for you.

Up to 7mnths

Three meals a day plus usual milk feeds.

I just recently stopped giving Amelia her lunch time milk and also her dinner time milk, she just has solids and juice/water at those times.

I hope that helps a little.

Thanks whisper. I got this chart too with the free weaning pack but my HV thought it was too slow. I have been using it as a guideline though just upped it a little. Thanks for typing it up x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->