Breastfeeding as an contraception?

Mummy Bean

Parker & Dougs Mum
Reaction score
So Doug is 4 weeks and EBF every 2-3 hrs day and night.

But me and OH dtd last night and stupidly forgot to use any protection.

Do you reckon il be ok? As i know your most fertile in your first month PP.

I looked but no chemist round here that are open do the mornin after pill...so would have to wait until monday when il be past the 72 hrs.

I don't think that they myth "your most fertile just after having a baby" is based on any factual research. I looked once and couldn't find any research with regards being more fertile after miscarriage so I'm sure the same lack of actual proper research applies to term birth as well.

I definitely don't think it applies to breastfeeding mothers who fit the criteria for Lactational Amenorrhoea Method of contraception. A natural method with a success rate of >98% hardly seems super fertile to me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactational_amenorrhea

Allow me to introduce you to my son Westin. 13 months younger than his big brother. Conceived while EBF :). Best accident ever though

You need to know your own body- some people are basicsally infertile while BFing, some people get their period back after 6 weeks and it's business as usual fertility-wise.

I've seen some people claim that BFing is basically birth control- but that's not universally true at all. My grandmother BF'd and I've got some Irish Twins (born within a year of each other) among my aunts!

There are natural ways to keep track of your fertility that don't include your period so that you can tell when your fertility returns, and also for people with an irregular cycle. Keeping track of temperature, vaginal discharge, etc. It would be a good idea to be aware of those in the future so that you'll have an idea of whether or not you've started ovulating again before you get your first period. It's still better to be careful, especially if you want to avoid having another baby too soon, but it'll at least let you know how worried you need to be.

Think it depends on your body. I had no period and didnt get pregnant for the first 12/13 months.

There's no saying it really depends on your body however it's possible to get pregnant even when exclusively breastfeeding .

That being said your supposed to wait a minimum of 6 weeks after baby not because you super fertile but because your risk of infection is very high right after baby as your cervix is very open and you can introduce bacteria into the uterus

I personally don't cycle at all while ebf, which I think is most common. It starts to gradually come back when baby is on 3 solid meals a day and only nursing a few times.

Ps. Not actually sure if you can have morning after pill while bfing?

Allow me to introduce you to my son Westin. 13 months younger than his big brother. Conceived while EBF :). Best accident ever though

did u get your AF after the first ??

Cheers ladies. Looks like i will just have to set a date in the diary for next month. Already got 2 under 2, so 3 under 21/2 would be crazy.

We use breastfeeding as a contraception as we fit the criteria, exclusively breastfeeding, multiple night feeds, younger than six months. That said I'm aware that it's 98-99% effective and not a guarantee, but we do want baby number three and therefore I'm not entirely bothered if s/he shows up earlier than planned.

Of course you can get pregnant when EBF but then you can get pregnant when using pretty much any form of birth control. I got pregnant when we were using condoms and have friends who got pregnant on the pill. IF you don't have your period back and are feeding frequently day and night it is VERY unlikely you would get pregnant from having sex once.

We haven't used anything since LO was born and I'm more worried about how I'm going to get pregnant as I have a feeling I could be waiting a while yet.

LO is 4 mo , and my AF hasnt returned , we BD'ed twice .and off late I am extremely tired( though i eat truck loads ) and my migraines are back .LO was conceived while on clomid ...so taking all these facts into consideration :: should i be wasting money on testing or just wait and see

Edit : I bf + pump ( and initially when LO was 1 month old had to supplement with Formula for few days )

Thanks again. I do fit all the criteria for BF as contraception...so fingers crossed. Just i fell preg with my eldest after missing 1 pill (even doubled up the next day) and my newborn only took 1 time of dtd.

Thanks again. I do fit all the criteria for BF as contraception...so fingers crossed. Just i fell preg with my eldest after missing 1 pill (even doubled up the next day) and my newborn only took 1 time of dtd.

Both times I fell pregnant after only one time but no sign of getting pregnant after 6 months of not using contraception while BFing if that makes you feel better.

LO is 4 mo , and my AF hasnt returned , we BD'ed twice .and off late I am extremely tired( though i eat truck loads ) and my migraines are back .LO was conceived while on clomid ...so taking all these facts into consideration :: should i be wasting money on testing or just wait and see

Edit : I bf + pump ( and initially when LO was 1 month old had to supplement with Formula for few days )

Pumping can make BFing as a contraception a little less effective but it can still work, you might want to read about that. Supplementing can jump start your cycle but I wouldn't worry too much about the few day of supplementing in the begining. If you didn't get your period or get pregnant at the time I think the danger will have passed.

My friend's twins & kid are 13 months apart (she had 3 under 2 :haha: ) she was bfing & she didnt have AF before conceiving.

My friend's twins & kid are 13 months apart (she had 3 under 2 :haha: ) she was bfing & she didnt have AF before conceiving.

Eek. Well if i am then i will have 3 under 2 & 1/2...now that is scary.

Honestly i think youll be ok...but use protection in future, bf def is not reliable!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->