• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Breastfeeding in a pool??

Gym knickers

Lucky mum to 2 munchkins!
Reaction score
What do you think of this ladies??
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-deep-swimming-pool.html?ICO=most_read_module

I'm not quite sure what to make of it. When baby needs feeding they need feeding but I prob would have gotten out and done it in a changing room, more for comfort and LO's sake than anything else!

I wouldn't do it in a pool for the reason that there's no point :shrug: If I was hungry I'd get out and eat. If LO was hungry I'd get out and feed him but wouldn't go into the changing room. Kinda skimmed the article but it seems like she would have got in trouble for feeding on the side too which is ridiculous!

I just don't get it! Why would you feed in the pool!? If she had fed on the side of the pool and got grief I'd be outraged and would support her, but I don't agree with what she's done. It also annoys me as we need to get the message out that it's fine to feed in public but by doing it in inappropriate places just gives breastfeeding a bad name.

It does sound though that the staff should have dealt with it more appropriately

I wouldn't have done it myself simply because it would be difficult doing it in the water but I really don't get why it would offend if I did.

The comments in the daily mail are scary and show still we face repulsion from the public with breastfeeding. Makes me so sad that breasts are so sexualised now that people are offended seeing a child attached to them as nature intended :(

how horrible for her. I can only assume that she had a toddler with her too that she didn't want to leave ? still I would have got out and sat on the side. how can you compare it to weeing in a pool ffs, what is the matter with people

ps would the staff eat their food in the changing room ? no I don't think so

The daily mail readers comments are what bothered me most about this, I really didn't think attitudes were still this strong about NIP!! Really upsetting to read some of them :(

This same issue has come up at my local pool recently. From what I understand, in the local case, the baby became distressed in the pool and the mother nursed immediately to comfort him. I think people who assume she just felt like feeding him lunch in the pool aren't aware of all the benefits of breastfeeding. If my baby was distressed I don't think I'd get out of the pool & get dry before comforting her. I feel for the staff in a way, they should have been more understanding but they probably just felt awkward. Pools definitely need some clear guidelines about this.

Personally I wouldn't do it anywhere where you wouldn't be allowed to bottle feed.

i wouldnt eat in a pool and nor should my children whether a bowl of pasta, a bottle or a boob. i dont think we should promote positive discrimination - it is not appropriate to eat in a pool

Im all for breastfeeding in public but I think they were right to tell her to get out, FF babies wouldnt be allowed a bottle in there! Also I wouldnt BF'd in there incase my baby swallowed pool water etc! I didnt read the whole article and if they were having a go and shouting at her then thats unfair as they couldve taken her to one side and asked her discreetly!

Comparing it to urination was appalling - it's food. However, you are not allowed to eat or drink in a swimming pool so it's fair enough she be asked to leave the pool. If I were the lifeguard though I would have turned a blind eye to feeding at the side of the pool. That's what they do at my pool during baby swimming, there's a bench by (not in) the changing rooms people can go and feed the baby bottle or breast and no one says anything although it is technically against the rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->