breastfeeding mom's who returned to work early (6 weeks)

caitlyn2009

Reaction score
Just curious... When should I start pumping? LO is 4 days old now and my milk has come in. How should I pump? Right now LO nurses every 1.5-2 hours on one side for 15-20 minutes. At night he nurses almost constantly from around 10pm- 2 am and then settles into the 1.5-2 hour routine for the day. I am worried about not having enough milk saved up when I have to go back to work but don't really know how to get started. How did you ladies do it? Tips and suggestions? Thanks in advance!!!

I might start around 4 or 5 weeks, you only need enough for one day saved up, since you will pump during the day and use that milk the next day.

I honestly don't remember how I did it, I think I pumped one side while he nursed on the other once a day for the few days leading up to me going back to work, nothing drastic.

I started pumping as 4 weeks just once a day to add it to my routine and also get used to it. I am only needing to build up a small stash as I only work twice a week for 5 hours....however like PP said, you only really need to pump enough to cover 1-2 days but you'll need to make sure you pump regularly during the day at work too to replace the feeds (need to factor in growth spurts etc too).

Maybe start now pumping once or twice and then once you get back to work pump when you would 'normally' feed. My DD is nearly 6 weeks and she still doesn't have a regular feeding pattern so would be hard to work out but I am sure it would sooner or later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->