Breastfeeding "on the go" - carriers, slings etc??

Jayneypops

Mum to 2 Fairy Princesses
Reaction score
Hi,

I am wondering if there is such a thing as a carrier/sling so you can breastfeed while moving around. Ive got a fabric carrier from Victoria Sling lady which is for just carrying LO but the position isnt right for feeding.

Is it possible to feed while doing other things or could it be too awkward?

I'm following this thread, I've been interested in this for the last couple of days. It would be much easier to deal with DS1 if DS2 fed in a sling during his cluster feeding times!

I can feed DD in the moby wrap while walking around. Not sure if I could do anything else but I've walked around the park feeding her this way.

Stalking! We have a moby and I can't for the life of me figure out how to nurse in it. :/

I can feed DD in the moby wrap while walking around. Not sure if I could do anything else but I've walked around the park feeding her this way.

Oh my wrap is the same as a moby wrap, how did you manage to get LO positioned low enough for your boob? Or did you put the wrap on a different way? My LOs head is always up near my chest/breastbone just under my neck

When she was little I used their suggested BF hold. Basically you lie baby across the x shape rather than through it. That's a bad description sorry. Hopefully this kind of explains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xlhGj40imk Now she's bigger I just loosen the wrap a bit so she drops down a bit and feed her in the hug hold then tighten it back up when done.

You should be able to BF in pretty much any wrap by dropping baby a bit lower. It depends on the size of your baby but if you start by wrapping more from your hips up instead of your waist, you can work out how much higher from there if LO is smaller. If LO is already in the wrap, you can undo the knot and hold onto the ends firmly, then kind of bounce up and down a bit while letting the wrap slide a little bit through your fingers (be careful not to let go though!). LO's weight will pull the wrap down a bit, then just tie it again when LO is the right height.

It also depends on your boobs! Sometimes it can help to slip your hand in the side of the wrap and hold your boob up a bit for LO to latch on. You can probably let go once LO is feeding properly. It can help to roll up a muslin and put that under your boob to prop it up a bit, if your boobs are a bit low for LO to latch.

I've found the baba sling from mothercare is quiet good for feeding on the go

You can do it in pretty much any wrap/carrier, though I definitely found "upright" carries more difficult to nurse in before closer to 1 yr. Moby has an old carry that isn't in their manual anymore (I think it's the same as the one in the video) and that's the one we used in the moby.
I found a cradle-style carry in a ring sling to be the easiest with an infant, but it's a good idea to keep a close-ish eye on them while you have them in that carry. I found this one the easiest because it automatically meant their mouth was lower and to the side, where my boob was anyway and it was easier for me to adjust the height of their head in a ring sling than in a wrap because of the (imo) superior adjustability afforded by the ring mechanism. You're not hands-free like you can be nursing upright or slightly-side-lying in a wrap, but you can generally have either one of your hands free at a time and doing simple tasks is pretty easy.

Well I successfully nursed in the moby for the first time today! I intentionally wrapped it a little looser just in case he needed to nurse which he did and I just kind of shimmied him down and pulled my boob up (easier since I have bigger boobs hah) and he just latched on. It definitely was a little awkward so I'm hoping with more practice it will get better!

I nurse in my knockoff Mai Tei I got from Wal-Mart. It really helps when you are out and about:)

I found this video today and tried the first hold and it really worked and my ds seemed happy enough. I have a boba wrap https://youtu.be/NZYC3x81LbE
I just got a ring sling last week and sort of figured it out but don't find it as comfortable or modest

Hell yeah, I've nursed in an Ergo, a Tula, woven wrap, ring sling, and mei tai. There are amazing youtube videos that will show you how to adjust the carrier. I love breastfeeding while babywearing, especially because it's the only way my daughter will nurse in public without being too distracted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->