Breastfeeding, reflux and rubbish weight gain

Poorah

Reaction score
So the title pretty much sums up my life right now. Martha was 1150g (2lb 9oz) when born, 1720g when she left hospital nine weeks later, and now aged 14 weeks, she is only 2200g (4lb 13oz).

For the past few weeks we've went from breastfeeding only, to adding gaviscon, then rantitidine, then omeprazole and now they are contemplating bottle feeding. We're slowly getting on top of the vomitting, but the weight gain is still rubbish. Last week she put on a whole ounce, and I've been warned she may have to go back to hospital for investigations.

I'm absolutley gutted and feeling rather inadequate as a mother, not only could I not carry her properly, but now it would appear I can't feed her either. Has anyone else has such poor weight gain and came through the other side? I'm loathe to give up breastfeeding (it took 11 weeks to establish and now she's rubbish at bottle feeding!!), but I'm beginning to feel it's inevitable.

Hun, im positive t is not you, or anyting you have done to cause her problems!

Im affraid i cant answer any questions as i only had my baby 3 days ago, but i know how you feel with being inadequate!

I hope you dont get too disheartened and baby gets to stay at home with you

xxx

Hi Poorah,

My daughter had a similar situation. She was 2lbs 3oz when she was born. She came home 6weeks later and weighed 3.14lbs. At her 2 1/2 month appointment she was just barely 4lb. She also has reflux was first on ranitidine and is now on omeprazole.
I do a combination of nursing and pumping/bottlefeeding. The dr told me to put 1tsp of rice cereal into 2oz of milk.
it did kick start her weight gaib. after shewas up to 6lbs we stopped giving her the cereal. She is now just over 10lbs.

hope that helped

are you comfortable feeding? Have you had your latch checked by a BF counsellor or Lactation Consultant?
It could be that baby is not feeding as efficiently as she could?
Sometimes a bit of support to change the attachment makes all the difference!

If you are a little uncomfortable when feeding or have any kind of nipple soreness i would get LO checked for Tongue Tie or high palate.

In the meantime i can only suggest pumping and topping up (use a cup for EBM if she is not keen on the bottle)

My 32 weeker gained slowly due to Tongue tie,silent reflux and high palate.

Let us know how you get on

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->