Breastfeeding support groups - ideas

pregatlast

Brand new mummy
Reaction score
What does your local bf group have/do that's good? My local group has had some funding and after getting a crèche and some much needed new toys we are unsure what else we can spend the money on. It can't be anything that takes away from the support aspect of the group (eg running a class or anything) and would ideally be things to make the group/breastfeeding more attractive to new mums.

I just thought I'd ask what everyone else has - all suggestions very welcome.

Thanks

Anyone??

I've heard of groups with a monthly masseuse or manicurist visit - anything else?

Have you already got a budget for printing/photocopying Bf literature? I think you can be told stuff in the group and then nappy brain kicks in and you can't remember how exactly to go about 'laid back breastfeeding' or what the red flags are that milk transfer isn't happening, or the evidence that it is!

Do you have a designated mobile number (i.e not someone's personal phone) so that one member of the support team is 'on call' for help and advice when the group isn't running. This phone can be passed round the supporters on a rota.

DVD's showing what bf looks like, or different approaches to bf?

Paying for people to come and do talks? (may not be necessary if you already have HVs supporting you who know all about weaning and advantages of extended bf.

A sling library?

A bf cushion library?

Cell phone for the on-call support person and you could start investing in a library for people to borrow literature from if you don't already have one. Depends on where you meet, too. We spent some of our funding on renting out a church's gym-- they let us store play equipment (slides, scooters, climbing structures) there so that people's toddlers and older kids can get some energy out. It's especially popular in winter... Beyond that, providing snacks of some kind have always guaranteed us a larger turnout. We've also spent some money on giveaway items that we draw for at the end of some meetings (bf pillows, carriers, books, nursing pads, gift cards to bra stores or online nursing apparel stores) to attract people to meetings.

We spent some of our funding on renting out a church's gym-- they let us store play equipment (slides, scooters, climbing structures) there so that people's toddlers and older kids can get some energy out.

Yeah I think people avoid seeking help/advice about feeding toddlers or feeding second babies of they have to bring a toddler to a small/crowded room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->