Breastfeeding vitamins - are they worth it?

Izzie74

Reaction score
I was wondering whether people had used them and found them beneficial? Did they improve energy levels or make you feel better? They are rather expensive, but a short term cost. Do you feel they are worth it?

Most definitely! I didn't take them for 6 weeks after birth and was really run down probably because of not eating sufficiently! However as soon as I started taking pregnacare breastfeeding tablets wow, a difference straight away! They are 10.99 on amazon and worth every single penny!

Edit: also slight reassurance that on those days where all I want to eat if fatty/unhealthy food I know I'm still getting all the essential vitamins for baby etc!

I don't think you need a branded vitamin but pregnancy safe vitamins are a good idea. I was wrongly told by my midwife that with my pale skin tone I didn't need to take VitD supplements. Babies can't process sunlight in to vit D the same way as adults so they get a lot of it from breastmilk. My Toddler is now Vit D deficient (obvious because of significantly knocked knees) and the paediatrician blames the inaccurate info I was given about my skin tone while breastfeeding, because we basically live too far north and with too much of an indoor lifestyle for any of us (where I live) to have sufficient vitamin D in the winter! However some vitamins are fat soluble (so you don't pee the excess out, you store it in your fat) so some of these can build to toxic levels if you take supplements when you are getting loads from natural sources. That's why the paediatrician has recommended that LO and I take vitamin D supplements, but ONLY in the autumn/winter.

I didn't know there were any breastfeeding specific vitamins! I took prenatal vitamins off and on for about 2 years after my son was born and just started on some regular women's multivitamins. I'm still breastfeeding now. I think it's important to rebuild your folic acid after birth just incase you do get pregnant again quickly (even if it's by accident!).

I just continue to take my prenatal vitamin while i breastfeed.

i just take a good multi vit helps me to feel good and i have noticed if i dont take them my hair and nails get dry and break.

i just take a good multi vit helps me to feel good and i have noticed if i dont take them my hair and nails get dry and break.

I was looking at the difference and asking the pharmacist. She said you cannot take vitamin A if you are breastfeeding as it can be harmful to brain development. Am seeing gp on Friday for 6 week check up so will confirm.

I was looking at the difference and asking the pharmacist. She said you cannot take vitamin A if you are breastfeeding as it can be harmful to development? Am seeing gp on Friday for 6 week check up so will confirm.

Hi i take the breastfeeding ones. Get them from amazon as usually better price x

I was looking at the difference and asking the pharmacist. She said you cannot take vitamin A if you are breastfeeding as it can be harmful to development? Am seeing gp on Friday for 6 week check up so will confirm.

I'd love to hear what your gp says. I compared the vitamin A on my prenatal vitamins vs the new multivitamins I got and it was higher on the prenatals! I know too much is bad but I took those and similar ones throughout my pregnancy and my LO is fine (and very smart ;))

All breastfeeding mums here get free vitamins so I just take those you can pick them up at sure start centres as long as your breastfeeding everyone can have them

All breastfeeding mums here get free vitamins so I just take those you can pick them up at sure start centres as long as your breastfeeding everyone can have them

Maybe I should move to your neck of the woods. No free vitamins here in London!

https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/Vitamin-A.aspx

confirmed that vitamin a supplements should not be taken. There is a link above with more detail. You can get what you need in food. Have gone with getting a bf supplement and there is no vitamin a.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->