Breastmilk donation?

Wugz22

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a breast milk donation bank? I can't seem to find anything locally. My freezer is completely full and I pump more than I use daily. I can't bare the thought of throwing it out, but I don't know what to do with it all! I've already filled my parent's freezer too! Help!

Can anyone recommend a breast milk donation bank? I can't seem to find anything locally. My freezer is completely full and I pump more than I use daily. I can't bare the thought of throwing it out, but I don't know what to do with it all! I've already filled my parent's freezer too! Help!

You might call your closest NICU and ask them for suggestions? Remember... oversupply is a good problem to have! At least that's what my lactation consultants say!

Unfortunately people who donate breastmilk have to have had thorough health checks before donating. They also have to follow strict guidelines on alcohol intake, smoking, sterilisation, storage of BM etc. So I don't think there is much you can do with it :( xxx

In the US there are places that will help you with shipping your milk if you don't live near them I believe. Also, not all will require you to contact before expressing and storing. I know our local one I just have to call if/when I decide, they'll ask me the question and decide if they'll take it then.
and most breastfeeding mothers should meet the requirements regarding no alcohol, medications etc because they wouldn't be storing and giving that milk to their own babies I wouldn't think. :shrug:

In the US there are places that will help you with shipping your milk if you don't live near them I believe. Also, not all will require you to contact before expressing and storing. I know our local one I just have to call if/when I decide, they'll ask me the question and decide if they'll take it then.
and most breastfeeding mothers should meet the requirements regarding no alcohol, medications etc because they wouldn't be storing and giving that milk to their own babies I wouldn't think. :shrug:

Unfortunately there is always the possibility of nursing mothers not adhering to the guidelines, it's always a risk and I know I wouldn't want my baby to recieve breast milk from someone unless they had been fully vetted.
Also, not everyone is well educated with the importance of sterilising. They can't assume everyone is xx

check out your local chapter of human milk for human babies on facebook. I've donated milk through this page before, you just post your location and how much milk you have and someone in need will contact you and pick it up.

I just donated and just keep in mind they will ask you some screening questions and then you have to have some blood tests done before you can donate. There will prob. be a minimum you have to donate here in TX it is a 100 oz. Call your local hospital and you can find out and even your pediatrician should know who you can call.

Once they have the breastmilk they take it and pasteurize it to make sure they kill all the bacteria. Yes it does kill some of the nutrients but it is better that the babies in the nicu can't get sick from someone who doesn't sterilize properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->