breastmilk to whole milk

ButterCup17

Reaction score
So I am trying to wean my one year old from breastfeeding to whole milk and he just isn't going for it. He has pretty much self weaned feeds during the day and we were just doing morning and bedtime bf. I try giving him cups of milk and he will take a few sips and that's it. Like out of a whole day he is drinking a total if maybe 4 oz. I even had my oh try to give milk tonight at bedtime so he wouldn't associate me with bf but he wouldn't drink it from him either. I've tried two types of sippy cups (the ones he uses and likes for water) and two types of straw cups but he just doesn't seem to be a fan of milk. Any tips???

Stalking for tips. We have the same issue. Currently making his morning porridge with milk rather than water but he won't drink milk at all.

Does he mind expressed milk ? Whenever I changed from any milk to another I would mix them together and after each bottle I would reduce the amount of old milk mixed and increase the new amount.

That's a good idea, I do have some frozen bm left, thanks!!

My pediatrician said that kids don't actually need to drink any milk after a year- they just need to get the nutrition that is normally found in milk. Personally I don't think milk is all that great for you. You just need to make sure he is getting protein and vitamin d, which you can definitely do in other ways! My dd doesn't drink milk, but I give her plain yogurt, mostly greek, every day which has a ton of protein. THey can get vitamin d from other things that are fortified with it, or a supplement, and sunlight.

Not my pediatrician, he said 16-24 oz a day! That's a lot! I just don't think it's gonna happen here...he does eat yogurt and cheese though

If he's eating a varied diet and on 3 meals a day I wouldn't panic. DS2 (just turned 1) is not a great eater... days he's at creche I send up milk - some days he drinks 40ml, some days 100ml. I'm okay with him drinking from a bottle but really it makes no difference.

One thing we learned with DS1 was not to give milk in cups that have been used for water.... oh no that would never do. Had to be a brand new cup that was just for milk.

DS2 still BF morning and night and I'm okay continuing with that as long as he wants/needs. He has weaned the day feeds on his own, he WILL wean the am/pm feeds too.

Not my pediatrician, he said 16-24 oz a day! That's a lot! I just don't think it's gonna happen here...he does eat yogurt and cheese though

Ask if it HAS to be cows milk. My dd drinks oat milk...it is naturally kinda sweet and has a great flavor. My pediatrician wasn't a big advocate of cows milk and felt we made too big a deal about it being so good for you- he felt it was really big business just brainwashing people that milk was necessary and couldn't be replaced with other things that have the same nutritional value (not that he discouraged people from giving their child milk, but he just told me this when I said I didn't want to give dd cows milk)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->