• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Breasts feel soft and empty

Peppermint25

Reaction score
Hello all,

My little girl is 6 weeks old tomorrow. Up until now my breasts have felt full and hard where as for the past two days they have felt really soft and empty. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm worried my supply has lessened for some reason. I have been feeding on demand and my baby feeds slightly less at night, only twice as opposed to three times but other wise the same. She has been fussy in the evenings and crying a lot. She gets quite frantic at my boob and iv always thought it was due to get bring comfy with wind. Do you think this could be due to my breasts being emptier? Any experiences or advice are much appreciated!xx

It's completely normal for this to happen its your supply regulating to your baby's needs-it does not mean you have low supply or that you're drying up. Babies go through a growth spurt at 6 weeks as well xx

It's normal! Your body learns to make more on demand, and regulates to baby's schedule. No worries :) if baby seems to be still hungry once in a while and fusses while nursing, that is just natures way of stimulating for more milk for a coming growth spurt. :)

^^Agree! My boobs stopped getting big and hard around that time. Your supply regulates a lot after 6 weeks...I haven't had oversupply issues or lopsided breasts since. My boobs are only every big and hard in the morning because my daughter sleeps all night and for some reason my body hasn't gotten the hint to stop making tons of milk through out the night. (Guess its a good thing in case she goes through a growth spurt or wonder week and suddenly wants to get up all throughout the night but it is very annoying waking up with super hard boobs!)

As long as your lo is gaining well and making wet and dirty diapers then your supply is perfectly fine. Most babies get cranky and want to feed constantly at night (look up witching hours) and around 6 weeks is a HUGE growth spurt which could be why shes cranky...shes yelling at your boob to make more milk! It can last anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks...I got the shit end and hers lasted 2 weeks...........very exhausting but I hear that is the worst one and after that most people don't even realize there babies are going through them anymore...one day they just wake up a little taller LOL :)

Oh and my supply never regulated with my second youngest-I would not wish it on anyone. I constantly suffered with clogged ducts, pain, a super fast letdown that caused my son to pull off and refuse to feed any longer-meaning I had to feed him when asleep...it ended up getting quite depressing. I'm glad this time my supply regulated very early on, at about 2-3 weeks after he was born xx

It's normal! Your body learns to make more on demand, and regulates to baby's schedule. No worries :) if baby seems to be still hungry once in a while and fusses while nursing, that is just natures way of stimulating for more milk for a coming growth spurt. :)

This!

Its very normal

Oh and my supply never regulated with my second youngest-I would not wish it on anyone. I constantly suffered with clogged ducts, pain, a super fast letdown that caused my son to pull off and refuse to feed any longer-meaning I had to feed him when asleep...it ended up getting quite depressing. I'm glad this time my supply regulated very early on, at about 2-3 weeks after he was born xx

You've just made me realise this is why my son has suddenly started feeding SO much more calmly in the past few days. I'd noticed my supply had regulated (he's 6 and a half weeks) over the past couple of days and he suddenly became a different baby, no fussing whilst feeding, he latched on and fed and that was it, whereas before that he would come off and on every 20 seconds for most of the feed. I had a really strong let down before, so now that it's calmed with the fact my boobs aren't as full, he can cope a lot easier.

To the OP, it sounds very normal x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"