Breasts for naps and nighttime

danielle1984

Mom of a baby boy
Reaction score
After all those weeks of constant feeding, my son who is 9 weeks is doing a lot better at the breasts. However now I understand why he was constantly at it too. It wasn't only for feeding, he needed the breasts to fall asleep. Rarely he will fall asleep on his own. I'm thankful for co-sleeping and I have no problem with his need to use me as a pacifier. Hopefully he will grow out of it.

Anyone had a similar situation? I'm curious to see others stories...or advices?

They do grow out of it; some sooner, some later. Mine stopped needing me at all to fall asleep between 11-12mo but still loves his milk. Co-sleeping is fantastic, definitely resulted in more sleep for everyone in our house. I love to hear another mom happy to let their baby grow out of their needs. I will say it gets a lot easier when they work their way down to 2-3 naps/day instead of the constant "time for another nap", "time for another nap", "time for another nap" carousel you're riding at the moment. Mine is possibly in the middle of dropping down to 1 nap/day (he'll go a couple days only wanting one and then a few days wanting 2 again). I can't believe how much easier it is to get out and do things with him now compared to when he only had 2h of awake time between naps. :flower: Enjoy it. I thought I'd be a little glad when he was a little less dependent on me, but I quite miss the long cuddles we used to have at bedtime (they're still there, but he keeps them short so he can roll over and stick his bum in the air to fall asleep). I wish I could have another year of his infancy.

The ease of nursing to sleep is one of the benefits of breastfeeding/cosleeping. Both my older boys grew out of it on their own, no stress, no crying, no sleepless crabby mommy!

Exactly! I want him to come out of it on his own. My husband isn't too happy about the idea and mom doesn't understand. Well I'm the only with the breasts lol.

MY nine month old still nurses to sleep, naps and at bedtime. I'm looking forward to letting her grow out of it on her own. I also think I may miss it when this phase passes. I really LOVE our downtime, especially at night time where she nurses in a dark room, white noise on and we rock in the rocking chair.

LO did not comfort suck as a newborn in the beginning, she started doing it at about 8 weeks and now uses my breast everytime she needs a nap. I have to say life got way easier, instead of all that loud screaming, floor pacing etc she just has a quick suck and nods off most of the time now. When she is particularly tired or fussy she loves it when I lie down with her for and hr... Or two and we play what I call "mummy dummy". It gets a little inconvenient in company but I'm just happy it settles her so easily, in a way we can both enjoy.

I wish mine would nurse to sleep :nope: Instead it's a military operation of swaddle, muslin over the eyes, dummy and holding him still while he thrashes about.

Still feeding for naps and bedtime here. He doesn't actually fall asleep on the breast unless he is exhausted, but it calms him down enough to rock him to sleep.

What about when they are overtired and would refuse breast but cries until he falls asleep? Is that considered CIO? I try to comfort him but no sucess and after a few minutes he's asleep.

What about when they are overtired and would refuse breast but cries until he falls asleep? Is that considered CIO? I try to comfort him but no sucess and after a few minutes he's asleep.

Some babies seem to need to cry to fall asleep. You will learn what your LO needs and when and you likely already know him better than anyone else. When the MW came for a visit a few days after LO was born LO cried and the MW told me she was hungry, I said she wasn't that she just needed to sleep but she insisted I should try feeding her a bit more so I tried just to make her happy. Sure enough LO rejected the breast and when I carried on what I had been doing she was soon sleeping peacefully. The MW then gave me one of the best pieces of advice I've been given. She said doctors, nurses, other mothers, friends and family would all have advice about how I should do things but not to forget that I know my baby better than anyone else so to go with what felt right to me.

So I say, if it works for you and your LO to BF to sleep do. If he needs to cry sometimes thats fine too.

Thanks Bunny!! I agree with you.
I just wish my husband would think the same way. He wants baby in the crib and not constantly at my breasts or sleeping attach to me.

Mm, yeh thats awkward. Maybe point out that it wont be forever and you want to enjoy time with him as much as possible when he's little. My LO isn't even 4 months now and is totally different than when she was a newborn. When they get to toddler age they are more intrested in whats going on than boob most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->