Breech... vaginal birth?

rainkat

Reaction score
I'm 28 weeks and at my last appointment baby was breech. My other 3 were all firmly head down by now. I know there is lots of time and I'm sure she will turn but it's on my mind.

Has anyone had a vaginal delivery with breech presentation?

I mistakenly thought breech meant automatic C-section but my midwife says I'm an ideal candidate for vaginal delivery, although it would have to be at the hospital.

Thoughts?

I've not had one, but I looked into this as well since my baby was breech at 28 and 32 weeks so I wanted to know my options. From everyone I've talked to who has done it, they are usually more supportive of a vaginal breech birth if it's your second or more baby (birthed vaginally) and if baby is frank breech (bum first) rather than footling (feet first). I know people who've done it and they were fine and really glad they chose that option. But at 28 weeks, I honestly wouldn't even be worried about it. Baby will very likely flip and there's plenty you can do to encourage that. I did the exercises from Spinning Babies for a breech baby from 32 to 34 weeks and I also started swimming (it gets you in a position where it's easier for baby to turn) and my baby was head down again by 34 weeks and has stayed there. They flip around a lot still up until then. I don't think it's too early to start thinking about posture and exercises to encourage a turn though, but more than likely, you won't even have to worry about making that decision to go vaginally or not.

I delivered my daughter frank breech. I don't think I would attempt it with a live baby as her head did get stuck a bit and the nurse did have to turn her body a bit to get her head unstuck. I wouldn't risk the baby suffocating during birth, even though I would hate a c-section.

I don't know how it works in Canada, but in the US, they basically don't teach breech delivery in medical school anymore. The insurance companies threaten the hospital to take away their insurance if they perform breech deliveries on purpose. So, it is an automatic c-section. I really hope it's different where you live. But as others said, it's still early and the baby can turn by himself. I also recommend doing exercises to help the baby turn.

I'm not at all worried. I read that 25% of babies are breech at 28 weeks, and all but 4% turn independently so it isn't a concern. I was more curious.

Jensha I think everything I have heard before has been based on US information. That's why I was so surprised when my midwife said it was a possibility. There are strict criteria. The midwife isn't allowed to deliver alone, the birth has to be in the hospital overseen by an OB. But it is done here.

amjon I am so sorry for your loss :( I'm sure they wouldn't approve a first time mom for that exact reason. I've had 3 successful vaginal deliveries, the last one being 9lb 10oz. So far this one is measuring on the smaller side so there shouldn't be an issue with her getting stuck.

Plenty of tine to still turn, I wouldn't worry just yet. We had a lady in here last year who delivered her twin boys, both breach at home in the pool :) x

I wouldn't even worry about it just yet. I have a number of friends who have vaginally birthed breech babies at home. They all had homebirths with independent midwives and the births were all straightforward with no complications and their children are all older now and wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->