Bringing baby home to older kitty sibling

EYD

TTC #2 with new DH
Reaction score
Hi ladies, Just wondering if any of you have plans or steps to take to make sure your first baby (your kitty) has a smooth transition getting to know and love their younger sibling. Our cat is literally like a human child. So much so that my mother is concerned she will become extremely jealous. Is anyone else worried about this. I'd also appreciate any ideas ya'll have for making both babies happy! Thanks!

Will be watching this thread.

I have a cat that I swear thinks he is my human baby. I really am worried how he is going to be when I can't be holding him and giving him attention all day long.

I don't know. I never really gave it much thought with kitties. With the dogs I always brought home a baby thing from the hospital for the dogs to hang with before baby came home. maybe you should try that with the kitties? I never had a problem with any of my cats dealing with a new baby, though.

I would just keep an eye on your kitty. I have heard stories of cats sitting on babies whilst they sleep in the cots and suffocating them (don't want to scare you!) as long as your always supervising I cant see a problem... just make sure you shut doors when you don't want kitty in with the new baby.

Definitely research steps online to prepare kitty for new baby. I didn't, and I'm extremely regretting it now. She is so jealous and became quite depressed at first, so now I have her on a whole host of medications to get her back to health and am making an extra effort to involve her every day. Maybe you can get a baby doll that you can begin "treating" like your infant, and start getting her used to decreased cuddle time while you spend time with the doll. When you bring your baby home, keep an eye on her eating and take her to the vet immediately if you see it decrease at all, they can give medication that will increase appetite to avoid any additional problems while your cat adjusts to the change. Hope that helps!

I had three cats at the time my first was born. The nurse asked if we wanted the blankets that they first put her in to bring home to the cats. They had her scent all over them. My cats were always very good with her. However, eventually we gave them to my cousin bc it had become too hard to handle. Two of three were long haired and it was just hard to keep up with everything. But although my cats were very good with her, doesn't mean everyone else's will be. Plus, you should be careful around any animal.... Good luck

Bumping this i have an extremely clingy cat!

First of all, ignore the old wives tales... if we listened to every old wives tale then we'd never do anything!

Second, yes it would be a good idea to get paws used to the fact she's not the most important thing in the house anymore. Getting OH to bring home a blanket that smells of baby is a fab idea - she'll get used to the smell pretty quickly. Also, when you bring baby home, put something of yours in the carseat with them so that the baby smells of you. You're already one of the pack so if something comes into the house smelling like one of the pack she'll be more inclined to accept her.

If you can, get hold of some Feliway or Rescue Remedy (they do a version for pets without alcohol). It'll calm paws down as she'll naturally get stressed.

This is easier said than done, but when you first come home, let OH carry the baby in the carseat, YOU go straight to the cat and give her some fuss and attention. Try and keep a good level of interaction with the cat so she doesn't feel pushed out.

She will be naturally curious of the strange thing in the moses basket - if she comes over, don't shoo her straightaway - watch her closely but let her have a look at the baby. Chances are she'll be scared of the baby as cats dont like things that are unpredictable (and a baby is very unpredictable!) If she tries to climb in the moses basket, discipline her how you usually would (one of ours gets a firm no, the other one gets shouted at as he's a bit dim!) and put her out of that room for half an hour. Cats HATE being ignored so being barred from a room while your in there is a punishment.

Before bubs arrives, close the door to the nursery and your room (as bubs will be in your room at first). This will get the cat used to the fact that certain rooms are out of bounds now. As soon as bubs is in her own room, the cat can be allowed into your room again (if you like that sort of thing, I love having a feline waterbottle on my feet!)

When bubs isn't with you, the cat may come up to you for fuss and attention. As long as you haven't got hold of the baby, go for it! Same goes for your partner, if he doesn't have the baby then there's no reason why the cat cant have a cuddle. Cats are very adaptable, and you will probably find as the baby gets older the cat switches allegiances and becomes the baby's cat, rather than yours! They are also very loyal creatures and once they realise that this is your baby they'll become very protective of her.

She will be put out by the new arrival, but try and reassure her as much as possible that she hasn't been replaced. She'll also be curious of the baby's things, let her have a look at them, but make sure she knows her boundaries (i.e. the moses basket and pram are not her new beds!).

That turned into a bit of an essay but if you need any more help, feel free to ask. I have 2 very pampered paws and were getting them ready for the baby arriving now.

I have 2 cats that I rescued when they were 4 weeks old and near death. They were starving to death, covered in fleas, anemic, and covered in dirt and mud. Their mother had been hit by a car. I was only going to bring one home, but this other one...so small she could literally fit in the palm of my hand, kept following me to my car as I would try and leave. I gave in and took her too. When I got home I thought my husband would be mad because he said one only, but when he saw what condition they were in, he felt awful for them both.

We nursed them back to health, and now one of them weighs nearly 20 pounds hahaha! They are part of our family, and we couldn't ask for better cats. They love our kids so much. They will spend time with them, and even alternate sleeping in all the different kids beds at night. They are extremely attached to me, but there is no doubt in my mind that they will adjust to another baby in the family. Cats are very intelligent animals. Also, the story about a cat sleeping in a babies crib and stealing their breathe is an old wives tale. I have always had a cat in my home when I brought my babies home from the hospital and all my kids are fine. I even asked my dr and he said the same thing. Good luck!

First of all, ignore the old wives tales... if we listened to every old wives tale then we'd never do anything!

Second, yes it would be a good idea to get paws used to the fact she's not the most important thing in the house anymore. Getting OH to bring home a blanket that smells of baby is a fab idea - she'll get used to the smell pretty quickly. Also, when you bring baby home, put something of yours in the carseat with them so that the baby smells of you. You're already one of the pack so if something comes into the house smelling like one of the pack she'll be more inclined to accept her.

If you can, get hold of some Feliway or Rescue Remedy (they do a version for pets without alcohol). It'll calm paws down as she'll naturally get stressed.

This is easier said than done, but when you first come home, let OH carry the baby in the carseat, YOU go straight to the cat and give her some fuss and attention. Try and keep a good level of interaction with the cat so she doesn't feel pushed out.

She will be naturally curious of the strange thing in the moses basket - if she comes over, don't shoo her straightaway - watch her closely but let her have a look at the baby. Chances are she'll be scared of the baby as cats dont like things that are unpredictable (and a baby is very unpredictable!) If she tries to climb in the moses basket, discipline her how you usually would (one of ours gets a firm no, the other one gets shouted at as he's a bit dim!) and put her out of that room for half an hour. Cats HATE being ignored so being barred from a room while your in there is a punishment.

Before bubs arrives, close the door to the nursery and your room (as bubs will be in your room at first). This will get the cat used to the fact that certain rooms are out of bounds now. As soon as bubs is in her own room, the cat can be allowed into your room again (if you like that sort of thing, I love having a feline waterbottle on my feet!)

When bubs isn't with you, the cat may come up to you for fuss and attention. As long as you haven't got hold of the baby, go for it! Same goes for your partner, if he doesn't have the baby then there's no reason why the cat cant have a cuddle. Cats are very adaptable, and you will probably find as the baby gets older the cat switches allegiances and becomes the baby's cat, rather than yours! They are also very loyal creatures and once they realise that this is your baby they'll become very protective of her.

She will be put out by the new arrival, but try and reassure her as much as possible that she hasn't been replaced. She'll also be curious of the baby's things, let her have a look at them, but make sure she knows her boundaries (i.e. the moses basket and pram are not her new beds!).

That turned into a bit of an essay but if you need any more help, feel free to ask. I have 2 very pampered paws and were getting them ready for the baby arriving now.

:thumbup: thank you for some helpful advise! :hugs:

Our cat isn't too clingy - although he does like his morning cuddles. We have moved his bed out of our room and in the hallway which he seems to like - and we are going to start shutting the door at night soon so he can't come in (the rule is the cat will not be allowed in the same room as the baby unsupervised - including when we are asleep, exactly because of the suffication issue). We've let him in the nursery for a good sniff around - he seems to like it in there and often just lies down for a nap in there, but we we leave the room we make sure he leaves with us (hopefully getting him into the habit!!). The moses basket is set up in our room in the corner - he knows he gets told off if he gets near it. He's been in the basket once (I turned my back for a second!) But he swiftly got removed and hasn't tried it since.

I'm hoping that'll be enough. To be honest, he currently gets left alone all day, so when I go on maternity leave he might be happy for the company!!

Thanks ladies for all of your helpful info and support! My cat's definately in for a wake up call! The thing is... is like she thinks all the new baby stuff around is hers...

When i brought baby home i let the cat sniff her and I make sure I give kitty plenty of snuggles. I did, tho, but a baby gate at my bedroom door (my cat doesn't realize she could jump over it) to keep cat out bc when i first had baby home, I had to keep her under bililights and the cat jumped onto the light box thingy and scared me to death bc it could have fallen over with baby in it. I know she'd never hurt baby on purpose, but I just feel better keeping her out of my room. There are lots of times tho that I hold baby while sitting on couch and pet kitty at the same time. And like I said, I be sure to give kitty plenty of snuggles thru the day and also some time to play. She doesn't seem to be jealous, just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->