Bub won't latch on my left - is it me?

atalanta85

Reaction score
Bub doesn't latch well on my left and it hurts. She pushes me away at times, scratches, pinches, gums the nipple and screams all while constantly letting go. Feeding is always messy and i have to tuck a towel between my breast and bra to stay dry. On the right, she's on and stays on and it's easy.

Decided to express (electric) and when I tried on the left, the suction wouldn't stick and ended up with milk between the rubber suction thingy and the plastic outside it. It was also going between my breast and the rubber thing too. On the right I had no troubles and managed 60mL.

By this, would that mean the problem is with my breast, not my newborn? We have 'fights' over it because its very frustrating for the both of us.

NOTE: I have had a chat with a lactation consultant and of course, bub fed perfectly when she watched. Her theory was that my let down was too fast for her, but otherwise wasn't sure.

I have this, my bub is 14 wks and really kicks off with my left sometimes, i have to trick her by using football good! I think its my fast letdown also.

Seriously try the football hold or just pop her on if she sleepy god the fights i have over it

This happened to me but on my right. I just could not latch her. It hurt so much and I had constant blocked ducts. Lactation consultants saw us and everything looked fine. We just kept working at it and eventually got it. Although my supply has never been great on that side we exclusively breastfed and are still going strong on both sides. Keep trying, I'm sure it will all work out in the end :flower:

I had a very similar problem shortly after my milk came in which lasted a couple of weeks. It turned out it was that my boob was becoming so full and engorged it was making my nipple flat so that LO couldn't latch well, so it was easier for her to feed off my right. My supply regulated by about 4 weeks in. Try pinching your nipple at top and bottom to see if that helps with her latch. It may not be that, but it could explain why she latched happily in front of the lactation consultant if your boob wasn't overly full at that time xxx

Try the rugby ball hold with bubs tucked under your arm to trick bubs into thinking its the right side?

I had this with my right side with all my others though oddly my right side responds better to a pump, I have always had a faster let down on my left side and my babies seem to prefer that. So I thought it was something intrinsically wrong with my right boob, when youngest was born he was refusing the right side as well for a few hours. However after that he has come to prefer the right side and sometimes refuses to latch from the left side at all. Also this time for once my right side is the better producing, faster let down side. So now I am questioning if it was me or if babies just have their preferences? Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->