Bunged Up :(

Mervs Mum

Doula & Mum of 3!
Reaction score
Hebe is managing to go but she's definately a bit bunged up since we started weaning her :(

TMI BIT!

She had 'lovely' (ahem) sweetish smelling runny typical breastmilk poos until we started feeding her solids. Now the STINK to high heaven which I expected but jeeezz her Daddy would be proud of them! And they are getting smaller and smaller. She's now just pushing our small nuggets the size of.......erm.....well between a mini egg and a creme egg....:shy:

She has baby rice in the morning and veggies at tea time and the rest of the day is BFd. I have offered the sippy cup after food with water or water mixed with baby mineral water and a hint of juice and she's playing with it but not really drinking much.

I'm keeping her nappy off all the time we are home incase it's restricting her but wondered if anyone had any other suggestions?

TIA!

It may be the type of veggies your feeding?? Thats odd that she is constipated, Jasmine is ff and has 2 soft/runny poo's a day.

Maybe give her some prune juice mixed with water?

Does she have fruit puree apparently that helps getting the system flushing again x

Don't really know. Poppy's are still "lovely and runny", as you so nicely put it! Do you think it might be the rice that's binding her a bit. Maybe you could try her with some cereal type breakfast instead? Hipp and Organix do good ones.

Helena is constipated too today. She had sweet potatoes. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? What kind of veggies are you feeding?

Actually it's pretty normal to have more frequent but smaller and harder bowel movements. Is she crying when she's trying to go?

You can always try foods like peas/pears/peaches/prunes which tend to have a mild laxative affect
edited to add that oatmeal (which is also easy on the stomach) has a laxative affect, where as rice tends to cause constipation so may try oatmeal

Thanks everyone.

I'll sum up for all the replies in one if I can!

We are using Organix Wholewheat Baby Rice for breakie and these are the veggies so far:

squash
sweet potato
parsnip
carrot

and then tonight I made petit pois & avocado which she didnt like and blew back over me....

I have only tried her with a ready made blueberry & banana puree and Plum, pomegranate and guava one she didnt like either so I decided not to encourage a like of sweets just yet and ditched the idea of 'pudding' altogether.

Do you think a fruit puree is a good idea then? Or maybe the prune juice?

Oh and she's not crying when she poos - just really pushing like never before!

prune juice is extremely effective, and a little bit goes a long way

tbh sounds perfectly normal to me. Hannah strains more when she goes now and goes a lot more often throughout the day. The one time she was constipated she cried when she went.

fin loves fruit purees. i think it's good to encourage different elements into their diets earlier on. plus he still has lovely runny poos even though he has 3 meals a day. xxxxxxx

blueberries and bananas can be extremely constipating. I would avoid those. The best beginner foods are peas, carrots, pears, applesauce and peaches... Rice cereal doesnt cause constipation, it is the added iron in the cereals that cause the constipation.

All the above advice is good. Maybe you could up the amount of water she is drinking with her solids and mix in some baby pear juice that will help.

It can sometimes be harder for b/f babies to deal with solids as they are so used to runny poos.

I know you said you didn't want to introduce sweets but pear, apple & prune puree works a treat for Amelia!! Perhaps you could mix it with some baby rice and give it to her for breakfast?

All the above advice is good. Maybe you could up the amount of water she is drinking with her solids and mix in some baby pear juice that will help.

It can sometimes be harder for b/f babies to deal with solids as they are so used to runny poos.

I know you said you didn't want to introduce sweets but pear, apple & prune puree works a treat for Amelia!! Perhaps you could mix it with some baby rice and give it to her for breakfast?

I wondered about mixing with the breakie actually coz the rice is very bland isn't it.

Yup it can be, plus most breakfast are usually sweet so it wouldn't affect your no sweet things at lunch and dinner time.

And i'm pretty sure she would love it! :D

Do I sound like a kill joy with the sweet thing?? :shy:

Jacob LOVES fruit. At start he couldnt have banana's etc as it would cause him to be constipated but now he loves them, mango is good and pears :) Purne juice always clears jacobs back log :D I tend to offer cereal for breakfast it has to be organix as every other one contains milk products and jacob being lactose intorlant he cant have it. Then i offer fruit for one meal and veg for another. And the evening one i mix with rice to thicken it up so things dont go the other way and he gets the runs (you know yourself if you eat to much fruit and veg gives a dodgey stomach) Sometimes ill give fruit for lunch sometimes for tea i just alernate it :) XxxX

Ive been adding more water in to the veggie dinners which is helping. I think baby rice, sweet potatos and bananas clog Ellie up so ive been avoiding them for now. Ive been using cereals in the morning that you mix with water rather than milk. Shes been fine ok until today she seems to be struggling abit so its a day of fruit puree and water for Ellie lol.

Oh and she's not crying when she poos - just really pushing like never before!

Courtney was doing this yesterday... she makes the funniest faces... but didnt have a poo at all!!

Today she pooed :yipee: Courtneys poos have changed loads... she went through a stage of smaller droppings, of what you describe between a mini egg and creme egg!! :)

But since she has been teething they have become a lot sloppier!!

I think its just her body getting used to the different types of foods...!!

:)

i was going to suggest the prune juice! maybe watered down in a sippy cup. x

When we first started weaning harry his poos went like this too but now they seem to have settled down a bit and he goes once a day..... usually in the bath :dohh: and its kind of like paste (tmi!!) he has 2/3meals a day and still loads of BM. Maybe it will settle down naturally once her body gets used to the food more? xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->