C section at 36/37 weeks with baby below 5th centile?

sailorsgirl

Family of 5
Reaction score
Hi so I am just after some reassurance. I have a number of things going on in this pregnancy but today I have been told that I will most likely be having my section somewhere between 36 and 37 weeks now, beginning the steroid injections today.
My concern is that baby is measuring below the 5th centile. So I was wondering if anyone else has been through an early section combined with an SGA baby? How big were your babies and were there any complications?

I had an IUGR baby at 36+0 via c-section. She didn't grow the last 2 weeks of my pregnancy. I'd have delivered at 37 weeks if she hadn't shown distress during an ultrasound. She was 5lb2oz and now at almost 3 years is still barely on the growth charts (but we have a small family on both sides). I didn't have steroid injections but she didn't need them. She stayed in the nursery until her blood sugar stabilized (I had gestational diabetes) but came to my room after a few hrs. She was ready to go home before I was! No issues at all other than her being a little sleepy and a lazy eater.

Hi

My son was born by c section at 37 + 4 weeks because I had pre eclampsia and he had stopped growing. They gave me the steroid injections. He was 4lb 2 when he was born. Other than going into an incubator was the first night as he was a little cold he was fine. It was down to the steroids I think as he had no health problems at all!

I just delivered by c section at 36 weeks exactly. He was a big baby. He is in nicu due to lung maturity issues. He will come home sometime next week most likely After a 1 week stay. My other son delivered at 37 + 2 did not have nicu and went home perfectly fine. Totally depends on the baby and girls tend to do better than boys.

I had my son at 36+2 (5lb 15oz) because of low fluid and cholestasis. He had no steroid injections and no issues other than slight jaundice.

I had my third baby by emcs at 36 weeks exactly. His weight was fine (6lb 7oz) but he really struggled. He was in nicu for 2 weeks and was very poorly for the first 3 days. I think it completely depends on the baby and the individual circumstances. Good luck though, hoping everything is ok for you x x

Thanks girls. We got the good news that we can wait until 37 weeks for a c section so I'm feeling slightly less nervous. I'm still concerned about her weight as her head doesn't appear to have grown between my last two scans, but fingers crossed she will be just fine :) xx

Oh good she can wait until 37 weeks! That will make a difference for sure!

That's good news, still hoping it all turns out well for you

I just wanted to update. Our baby girl was born via c section at 37+1 weeks and she weighed 5lb 2oz, after a check over from the neonatal team they were more than happy with her. She's doing brilliantly well. Breast feeding has been difficult as she is very sleepy, and she had a mild dose of jaundice at around 3 days old. But after dropping to 4lb 12oz, now at 10 days old she back up to her birth weight and is back to beautiful pink baby. :)
Xx

Congrats!!
Any tips for nursing a sleepy baby? My son is now 3 weeks old but still very sleepy. The nicu stay has made bfing difficult as we didn't get established at the start and he's used to a bottle. We just started doing all feeds at breast with some expressed milk at end if he's still hungry 2 days ago but he struggles to stay awake. If he can go 5-6 mins straight per side he drains then but because he's so sleepy it's taking 30mins plus right now then me pumping for 15 mins after to make sure I'm drained. He was also jaundiced but that seems to be mostly cleared as his eyes are finally looking white again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->