Cake Ideas

ExpectingK

Reaction score
It's my mum's birthday in a couple of weeks and tradition has it that I make a cake / pudding for after Sunday lunch. Last year I made a chocolate meringue with whipped double cream, chocolate shavings and maltesers....yummy!

I've been looking over baking sites this past week but nothing has jumped out at me. Anyone have any suggestions with a link to a recipe?

I'm open to any ideas, though it should be fairly straightforward as DD will be helping and I'll only have the morning to make it.

Thanks!

Try Pinterest! I recently made OH a rocky road birthday cake (Devil's Food Cake mix with marshmallows, pure rocky road topping) and it was delicious.

If you want something more dessert like the Delia's cheats chocolate trifle is lovely. I tend to swap the cherries for a tin of manderin oranges as OH doesn't like cherries. And I've also discovered that making the custard so that it doesn't have the chocolate in makes it much less rich.

How about bread and butter pudding. You can make it with brioche or hot cross buns if you want something a bit different.

I did a Black Forest gateaux last week. Kind of made it all up by taking elements of different recipes but it went down a treat!

I used a choc sponge recipe, enough between 3 tins. The cream filling was just double cream whipped and icing sugar. A lot of recipes were saying to use kirsch and cherries separate but in tesco I found black cherries in kirsch, result as it worked out a lot cheaper .it would have looked far more impressive if my decorating skills were better but it tasted fab!

Have you ever tried doing a poke cake? You use a boxed cake mix but the end result is so rich and delicious, you'd never guess.

One I particularly like is the Thin Mint one, but there's all kind of combinations and such you can use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->