Cake recipe for a number 1 tin

Sarah Lou 80

Reaction score
I'm going to attempt to make my boys first birthday cake. I have a tin but it didn't not come with instructions for how much cake mix to use.

The tin measures 10" x 7" (at its widest point)

Has anyone got any recipes? I thought I might make some sort of lemon sponge as it won't be deep enough to cut in half to fill with jam and buttercream.

I also don't know how high to fill the tin. Would it be a third of the depth?

It's got disaster written all over it!!

Usually a recipe will specify the tin size rather than the other way around.

I take it it's a rectangular tin? This is a nice recipe and the tin is only a little bit larger, so maybe check one it slightly sooner. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1892633/lemon-drizzle-traybake

If you look up traybake recipes you'll get more that suit the rectangular tin, if you google cake recipes you'll usually get round ones which are harder to adapt.

Also if you think it would be too thin to cut you could make double the batter and do 2 layers if you want to do a victoria sponge.

Good luck and have fun

take a look at this link
https://www.magentacakes.co.uk/blog/7-tips-for-number-cake-success/

the ingredients in the text gives options for a lemon cake too :)

Does the tin have a bottom to it btw?

Thanks ladies! I haven't looked at the links yet. I will do tomorrow when my brain is functioning better!

Yes, it's a retangular tin and it does have a base. I saw those tins that are just frames but I thought there was more potential for a failure with the batter possibly leaking out?

If it turns out half decent I will post a picture!

Going to have a practise run this weekend! Excited!

Hi I used a number 2 tin and used 3 packet mixes and just baked foe 30 minstrel and kept prodding it to check

Basic sponge mix I use is 2oz each of self raising flour, butter/marg and caster sugar for each egg. I also add 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp baking powder and 1 tbsp. milk for a vanilla sponge.

If you want to do chocolate cake replace a couple of tbsp. of flour with cocoa powder, or lemon cake use lemon rind instead of vanilla extract and lemon juice instead of milk.

I think I'd initially try 3 eggs for that size tin (with 6 oz each of butter/sugar/flour) and if it's not quite high enough you could always do the same again and sandwich them together.

ETA I tend to bake at 180 degrees (my oven is a fan oven) and I always go by site and the skewer test to see if it's ready (skewer entered comes out clean or with crumbs on, not wet mix). It will probably take somewhere around 25 - 30 mins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->