Calling all cloth bum mummies!

chicky160

Mummy to Ronnie and bump❤
Reaction score
Well. I don't know where to start. I have a 14 month old ds that I was desperate to cloth bum but a very unsupportive hubby and family. I'm due squish no2 in may (god willing) and it's the first thing I thought about! I AM going to cloth bum this time but I'm lost with the massive variety, don't really understand the terminology and as for liners! Sheesh it never ends. As a current sposie user I always need to use cream on lo's bottom, it gets very sore otherwise. Is that just a sposie thing or is it a depending on the child thing? If I did have to use something on babys bottom what would work with cloth? I assume sudocreme which is our current go to cream would be a no no? Are birth to potty better? HELP! :haha:

I'm very new to cloth only been 6 weeks! but i used disposables with my others girls and didnt use cream so it might be a different child thing? anyway ive heard you can use coconut oil (someone might come and correct me tho!) I use tots bots easy fits as they are just like disposables (once stuffed) and even my husband who wasn't sure about them loves them. My only advice would be to read as much as possible about them ive spent the last 3 years trying to learn about them (took me that long to get my husband to ok them!) I totally love them and im so annoyed i didnt use them with my girls

What do you stuff them with lovelylaura? Do you find them ok at night? My son was a serious heavy wetter and I'd find I had to change him clothes and all at least twice a night! :dohh:

you can use coconut oil on baby's bum when they are in cloth. My son is in cloth and he has had VERY few rashes. Generally, cloth diapered babies get less diaper rash than kids in disposables. If they do seem to be getting rashes all of the sudden it is usually because the diapers have build up and need to be stripped.
There are a ton of different types of cloth diapers. The best way to go about finding your favorites are to buy a couple of each type and try them. you will learn really quickly which you like and which you hate. Personally, I prefer pockets or all-in-ones as I just find them easier to use and clean but that won't be everyone's opinion.
With liners, I didn't use them at all until he was eating solid foods. Breast milk poops will wash out completely, I didn't see a need for liners. But trust me, when they start having real "human" poops that are very gross and liners make your life SO much easier.

Have you had a look to see if there is a cloth nappy library or cloth nappy representative in your area? When I started using cloth with DS I borrowed a kit from my local cloth nappy library and it really helped me to see which ones worked for us.
I use mainly Tots Bots Easyfits with DD, they are easy to use- they have an insert attached which you just stuff inside and I usually add another booster, either microfibre, bamboo or charcoal (listed there in order of how absorbant but also bulky they are, in my experience at least!).

I got totally bamboozled too! We spoke to someone at the baby show and ended up buying the bumgenius free time or freestyle (can't remember what it's called!). They're meant to grow with the baby, so you can use them from birth to potty. We've used them since dd arrived and they are fantastic, no faffing, just put them on, take them off, whack them in the wash, dry them, and off we go again. We wash ever other day, just about, with 20 of them. I bought some liners but haven't needed them yet, and there are pockets in the nappies to add stuffing to, but I haven't even investigated that yet as there just hasn't been a need.

We use coconut oil on nappy rash. She did have it at about 2 weeks, but the coconut oil cleared it up straight away and now we use it as prevention, and no problems at all since :)

X

My main stash were ebay cheapies (Dudybaba?). They were pocket ones where you stuff inserts inside (I used one microfibre & one bamboo).

On a night (when he started sleeping a little longer) I used Bum Genius Flips.

In terms of rashes, Jacob did have more rashes than Joshua (used Sposies) but I think that was due to ezcema rather than cloth. I used Palmers Bottom Butter with a liner.

For liners, I just cut up a cheap fleece blanket rather than buy them.

i would recommend a nappy library before you buy anything!

i use a couple of different nappy systems personally
i use bamboozle stretch and night, tj cloth nappes, and bumgenius in the day.

there are lots of different nappy systems and a good place to start is the nappy lady he is great.if you fill in the advice questionare she will devise a system that ill work for you and she answers any of your questions.
https://www.thenappylady.co.uk/partsofanappysystem.html

if ou would like i can show you the type of nappies i use? when i started i found it easier when my firend showed me how t all works

Thank you so much ladies. :thumbup:

There apparently is a nappy library but when I click on the link it just says error so maybe at one point there was and now there isn't? I stumbled a lady who organises the loan of a few different types and she does it from home but I think it's pricey? Stupid me didn't save the page so I'll have to try and find her again :dohh:

Magic whisper that would be fab if you find the time!

Thankyou :hugs:

I'm still working it all out but have found that there are loads of youtube videos/tutorials which go through all the different types and fabrics etc as well as reviews which I find really helpful. There are also some lovely ladies on fb pages where you can buy and sell the nappies as well as getting advice x

ive saved this page in my favourites so when i have time i will take pictures

A lot of babies get rashes from disposables which disappear when they move to clot - it's probably a reaction to the chemicals in disposables. If you can't find a nappy library near you there's a postal one.

i use flip wraps and inserts, i also use pocket nappies and bumgenius nappies, at night i use bamboozle stretch nappies

a empty pocket nappy
https://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p704/magicwhisper1/DSC_0533_zpse22f76fe.jpg

pocket nappy with the inserts on top

https://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p704/magicwhisper1/DSC_0532_zps1556d2a7.jpg

the flip wrap and insert

https://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p704/magicwhisper1/DSC_05311_zps940042e3.jpg

a all in one bumgenius nappy folded (called a freetime nappy)
https://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p704/magicwhisper1/DSC_0530_zps02c08e33.jpg

the inserts are attached see :)

https://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p704/magicwhisper1/DSC_0529_zpsc0d280cc.jpg

the coloured bit on top is a fleece liner you either use a disposable or fleece one

I've only been using cloth for 3 or so months now. I bought a few different types at first to try as I was so overwhelmed with all the different styles, absorbency and fabrics. So far I have tried ai2, pockets, prefolds, flats and fitteds. I initially thought I would like pockets because they seemed to be easier but my favs are fitteds. I love that I can adjust the absorbency and covers depending on the situation. I love using wool covers when we are at home and for naps and PUL when out and about. My fav fabrics are bamboo fleece for liners and bamboo terry for the diaper. As for brands I have kawaii for pockets and a bum genius, bitti tuttoo for ai2 and sustainablebabylish for fitted. The rest of my fitteds, flats, prefolds and wool and PUL covers are made by WAHM's from etsy and hyena cart. I also have started making my own fitteds as they are my favorite type and pretty simple to whip up and I can order the fabric online. As for rashes, we are still using some sposies on occasion (just using the ones I had left over) and when I do his bum is always a little red, not a rash but a little red and after cloth it's just fine. I use CJ's Bum BuTter which I love and is safe for cloth and as a bonus smells AMAZING! Good luck on your cloth diaper journey I just love it and so bummed I didn't do it with my other kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->