calpol every night for teething?

fingers_cross

Reaction score
is it ok for me to give my son calpol every night before bed? his teeth are causing him a lot of pain and im able to keep him going during the day and distract him, going for walks and playing etc. i prefer not go give too much medication as im more into the natural side of things (i have got the teething powders, seem to help a little but not at night time) so a little worried that its not good for me to give him calpol every night? hes had 2.5mls every night for the last 4 nights. he just wont settle other wise and i can tell hes in a lot of pain, chewing on his hands and his dummy etc.

is it ok for me to do this? hes 6 months so says that i can now give him 5mls but he seems ok on the 2.5 so i just give him that.

what do u guys think?x

I would think that as loving as you are not having him any paracetamol based products during the day it should be fine.

I had this with Freya. She had calpol most nights for a few weeks the health visitor said it was fine. Her teeth cut through about 10 days ago so she is fine for now! Hope they come through soon x

I wasn't keen to give paracetamol every night to lo, but as my grandma (who's a nurse) pointed out, if we are in pain we take something for it so its only fair we help lo's too. 2.5ml on a night will be fine

I've had to do this at times with Ashley. I hate giving him medicine as well but I also hate seeing him in pain. I spoke to my HV a couple of times about it and they said it was ok.

I woudlnt do this, have never with either of my children.

I wouldnt take a paracetamol tablet every night just incase I get a sore head - the medication is not needed, take it when you need it.:flower:

I wouldnt take a paracetamol tablet every night just incase I get a sore head - the medication is not needed, take it when you need it.:flower:

but ive tried a few times to put him to bed without it and he just screams and screams (heard teething is worse at night cuz thats when the teeth do most of the moving?) so i only give it to him when he needs it, never as a preventative thing.

but ive tried a few times to put him to bed without it and he just screams and screams (heard teething is worse at night cuz thats when the teeth do most of the moving?) so i only give it to him when he needs it, never as a preventative thing.

Sorry, think I might have misread you! Oh yes, plenty times when my LOs have had calpol night after night as I felt they were in pain teething.

I thought you were asking if it was ok to just give it to them before bed, even before they were crying, as a preventative!

Yes it's fine and I personally think it would be cruel to withhold medication and see them in pain. Infant medication is very mild, but they are very efficient at metabolising it. For very painful episodes eg ear infection you can give infant ibuprofen alongside the infant paracetamol up to 4 times a day & as long as you stick carefully to the dosage guidance it is perfectly safe.

Completely fine, if a baby is in pain then give them something for it. Heck, I've had co-codamol everyday for the past week for my wisdom teeth!

So glad u posted this question was worrying bat the same thing, last few nights without calpol LO wouldn't of settled, I'm using granuals during the day too which seem to help but think he needs extra pain relief at night, I also put a little on his dummy when he was unsettled during night seemed to help

I am most definatly in the NO CALPOL camp I'm afraid!! It is full of E numbers & is banned in quite a few countries, here in the UK gp's tell parents to use it for everything!!

My LO is 8 months old, now has 6 teeth with a 7th on the way!! ............and no calpol has been used!! I give him cold teething rings & use teething gel in small amounts.

If my baby has a temp I will always strim him to his vest or nappy, turn off the central heating & open a window before even thinking about paracetamol!! Some supermarket own brands have less E numbers, but if you give it regular it may prevent the child natural immune system from working proplerly & you may find it takes them a long time to get over a simple cold etc.

everyone has their own methods for teething, but for us calpol is not the answer xxx

Paracetamol will not affect a child's immune system.

Paracetamol is a very effective analgesic. I wouldn't sit and suffer preventable pain, and I wouldn't expect my child to. Teething pain for some babies is horrendous I see absolutely no benefit in letting them suffer.

Paracetamol will not affect a child's immune system.

Paracetamol is a very effective analgesic. I wouldn't sit and suffer preventable pain, and I wouldn't expect my child to. Teething pain for some babies is horrendous I see absolutely no benefit in letting them suffer.

Thats what I think. I'm currently getting my wisdom teeth and its bloody agony! Imagine being so small and in pain and not knowing why :cry:

Thanks for this! Been wondering the same thing, but about ibuprofin... is that any different?

I respect not wanting to medicate frequently, but I think it's important to remember that all kids deal with teething pain differently. My daughter is so, so uncomfortable right now. She's cutting FIVE (yes, you read that right - as confirmed by her doctor) teeth currently, including a molar. She's really struggling at night.

Thanks for this! Been wondering the same thing, but about ibuprofin... is that any different?

I respect not wanting to medicate frequently, but I think it's important to remember that all kids deal with teething pain differently. My daughter is so, so uncomfortable right now. She's cutting FIVE (yes, you read that right - as confirmed by her doctor) teeth currently, including a molar. She's really struggling at night.

Same with ibuprofin, in fact, it's better for teething than calpol as it reduces swelling. I give Harry a dose of calpol and ibuprofin before bed when he's teething really bad.

5 teeth! Poor LO :( I think Harrys cutting his top two, he's covered in teething rash and has a runny bum :nope:

We went through a spell when we gave Ginny either tylenol or ibuprofen every single night without fail because we thought she was in pain. We always did it as a last result. She's fine. We never had to give it during the day but if pain is stopping her from sleeping then I will give her something as directed.

My son hardly ever used anything for pain. He was the dream baby...then he turned into a toddler...

I am most definatly in the NO CALPOL camp I'm afraid!! It is full of E numbers & is banned in quite a few countries, here in the UK gp's tell parents to use it for everything!!

My LO is 8 months old, now has 6 teeth with a 7th on the way!! ............and no calpol has been used!! I give him cold teething rings & use teething gel in small amounts.

If my baby has a temp I will always strim him to his vest or nappy, turn off the central heating & open a window before even thinking about paracetamol!! Some supermarket own brands have less E numbers, but if you give it regular it may prevent the child natural immune system from working proplerly & you may find it takes them a long time to get over a simple cold etc.

everyone has their own methods for teething, but for us calpol is not the answer xxx

thanks for that..scary stuff! im actually usually VERY careful with addititives, chemicals etc but some things u never even think to look in..sigh!

luckily its not the brand name calpol its vantage. i searched the e numbers and they arent as bad as the ones in calpol but still not great.

i was able to put him to bed without it tonight, gave him a gum massage and a dummy that had been in the freezer and that seemed to work long enough for him to fall asleep. x

My hv was very funny about me giving calpol once a night for a week or so when my Lo was teething badly. But she often talks bollocks so reassuring that other people have been told this is ok.

Molars seem awful coming through, my Lo will scream for hours at night - completely inconsolable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hollie200
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->