Can a school do this?

susan_1981

Mummy to 2 boys :)
Reaction score
I'm posting on behalf of my sister here. She has a 10 year old daughter who is in her final year of primary school. The school asked for £30 from each child (or their parents obviously) to pay for entertainment for some school event. My sister paid straight away but lots and lots of other parents hadn't paid yet so basically the school have said they'll refund those that have paid £10 (not the £30 they paid) and the event is now cancelled. Can they seriously do that? That just seems like robbery to me! x

Seems a bit shady that the late payers are still in pocket! I'd be fuming!

That's what I said. Although it turns out it's slightly different. It was to go towards past and future trips apparently but I don't get that because they always have to pay upfront for that. I'd not be impressed but my sister will probably just let it go. Mind you, I don't think my brother in law will be quite so easy to let it go x

Also just to add, they've cancelled all future trips x

They cannot retain the rest of the money no - If the school had to pay a deposit to the artists or whoever they will have to cover that out of their budget. Not yours.

Make a fuss. Insist on the return of the money or the event. Write to the Head and ask why.

The school is not allowed to 'charge' only to 'request a contribution'. It depends a bit on what the actual letter said in terms of if it was a contribution or not as that may affect getting it back easily.

I would write and insist on being given an exact breakdown of where the money retained went and who paid for the non payers. I would then ask for the reason the school felt I should subsidise other people's children.

But then I'm like that. And I was a Head Teacher before my son was born and this sounds just like poor management to me.

I'd definitely be demanding a refund of the whole £30 if it were me.

It depends if they were warned it was non-refundable I suppose.

My sons residential is non refundable which is why I have only paid the £10 deposit cos Im not paying £110 for them to keep it if he suddenly wont go on the day.

That's out of order in my eyes... So some parents have paid £20 and others nothing?

What a great way to earn money, create event get money, cancel and give back fraction of money. What a con! more I hear about schools the more I get turned off. My sons school better not be like this.

Thanks. My sister did email them and they apparently sent a very nice email back but still won't refund her the money. It just seems like a real bloody cheek. They want money all the time these schools, yet they get it, then cancel the event but don't refund you. Makes me really mad. But I guess it's down to my sister, not me x

Is this legal? Unless she signed something that said the money wont be returned if the event is cancelled, i can't see how they can do this? :nope:

My son's school has never done anything like this. We quite often get information to say that they will have to cancel if enough people don't pay but they never have had to cancel for my son. I know they have for my sisters little girl (who goes to the same school) but i honestly don't know if they gave the money back or not.
If they were told that the deposit was non refundable then i guess they would just have to put up with it.

I actually find it quite disgusting that schools are prepared to put on a trip etc and ask for 'donations' and parents don't pay. I know that at my son's school they will help out any parents who are on benefits. The rest obviously are asked for donations but a lot of them don't pay because it's not a payment that's enforced, but they still expect their child to go on the trip.

As a PP has said, a school can only ask for a contribution. It cannot be forced. The problem is that unless schools can raise enough money to cover trips then they can't go ahead. A 52 seater coach for a day costs hundreds of pounds - that's before any entrance fee!! If some parents don't contribute, it spoils it for everyone. Very sad as having "real life" experiences will enhance learning for all children.

A small minority won't be able to afford to pay - at our school we ask in these cases for any contribution they feel able to make. Of course the children still go on the trips regardless.

If it was a contribution then it'll be difficult to get it back. However, it was a contribution towards school trips. Perhaps your sister could request a breakdown of the cost of trips so far per child. She can then rightly expect to receive at least the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->