Can anyone recommend a book on newborns or babies?

ltrip84

Mom and pregnant
Reaction score
I'm embarrassed to admit that even though I have always wanted children, I have no experience with them. I have never even changed a diaper (I'm sure I can figure it out)! I was wondering if anyone can recommend any books on babies and how to care for them, symptoms to recognize, certain age milestones they should meet, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

The Dr. Sears Baby Book is fantastic. It's literally like 2000 pages (okay, I don't really know but it's about 5 inches thick). But honestly, you really don't need a book. You'll figure it out as you go. As long as you make sure your baby is fed, dry, warm and cuddled lots, there's really no harm you can do while you learn. I had almost no experience with babies before I had one. I'd only held or changed one a few times. Had no idea how to give a bath or anything else. But you just do it. The Dr. Sears book is great to have as a reference and I've definitely looked up a couple things when I was curious what was normal or what to expect at certain milestones or needed some reassurance, but I would have been fine without it too. Talking to other mums is a great resource as well, especially if you can find a small group who share similar perspectives on parenting as you.

I have one called 'What to expect the first year' or something like that, can't remember offhand who the author is but it's very good

I'd never changed a nappy, or ever even held a baby but it really is true when they say it all comes naturally!

You'll know what works for your baby by intuition, books can be negative when you come across something that your LO is doing different, or not quite rolling/sitting/crawling when the books 'say'.

I'd say wait until baby is here, watch some YouTube vids in the meantime and see if you need extra literature after D Day.

:flower:

I would suggest not reading any books because I read LOADS ... i actually donated all 30+ of them this week to a charity shop.

When my baby for the first 3 months refused to be put down and didn't sleep like all newborns do, I assumed I must be doing something wrong. I told my mom the one day "the book says" and she said well I guess he must not have read the book then.

Your baby will guide you. Until I had my baby I had never even held a newborn, never changed a nappy, never babysat anyone's child never mind baby. You do just figure it out. Besides what is the worst that could happen if you put a nappy on the wrong way? :haha:

ETA - the 30+ books were not only baby books but pregnancy and TTC books too! Although I have read about 10 baby sleep books :haha:

Thanks everyone for your comments and recommendations. I know babies aren't always "by the book" but I just wanted to be a little more confident in what I'm doing. I just wanted to know what to expect, things to look out for, average milestones, etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Expect-Year-Heidi-Murkoff/dp/1847379745

That is quite good.

My favorite is Baby 411. Its very concise, has small sections on each thing that you may have questions about, or things that come up, etc. So you don't get stuck having to read an entire chapter when you need an answer ASAP with a screaming baby about whatever it is you are trying to figure out. It has sections on breastfeeding tips, breastfeeding issues that may come up, puke/diarrhea issues and how to tell when need to go to doctor over it, fevers, medicine dosages for Tylenol and Motrin in case you forget for the weight of your baby, different rashes you may encounter, and on and on.

I liked the book so much I bought the next one too, Toddler 411.

I would suggest not reading any books because I read LOADS ... i actually donated all 30+ of them this week to a charity shop.

When my baby for the first 3 months refused to be put down and didn't sleep like all newborns do, I assumed I must be doing something wrong. I told my mom the one day "the book says" and she said well I guess he must not have read the book then.

Your baby will guide you. Until I had my baby I had never even held a newborn, never changed a nappy, never babysat anyone's child never mind baby. You do just figure it out. Besides what is the worst that could happen if you put a nappy on the wrong way? :haha:

ETA - the 30+ books were not only baby books but pregnancy and TTC books too! Although I have read about 10 baby sleep books :haha:

what a wonderful post! i wish I'd read something similar when I was pregnant because it was so similar for us too with DS1. I didn't even pull my books out for DS2 and even though there are things I'd already forgotten, I didn't need a book to clue me back in again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->