can babies eat mayo?

dizzymeg

Reaction score
Ollie is a year old now and i was out with some mum friends and for some reason the conversation came up about giving the LO mayo and the mums said they wouldnt give even shop bought mayo to their 1 years olds because of all the crap in it, is that true? Would you give your LO mayo?
Any better brands? just would be handy for tuna mayo, egg mayo etc?
Thanks
Megha

I give Ruby some in tuna mayo and sometimes in her sandwiches or to dip potato wedges in. It's fine as long as its shop bought and not homemade.
I don't see what crap is in mayo particularly, we get heinz or hellmans.

Shop bought cheap mayo (like value brands) can contain alot of additives and stuff, although I think they are generally better than they used to be.

Hellmans regular mayo is just eggs, oil and vinegar, not sure what problem you could have with that, as those are the ingredients of mayo! Personally, I'd avoid the light mayo, as they have to add something in to replace the fat they remove. I'd rather just the standard mayo and have less of it!

Home made mayo isn't recommended, as the eggs usually aren't pasteurised like they are in mass produced mayo.

ah ok I shall go look at jars and get some heinz stuff, I normally get the light stuff you see, so you are right there is other stuff to replace the fat! Thanks small jar of full fat heinz here we come!

It's in some 6mth+ Annabel Karmel recipes so I take that as reassurance that it is fine. Have used it once or twice (Helmans) and no noticeable problems anyway,

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->