Can I Join you need some advice

spike

Reaction score
My little girl was born at 35 weeks, my milk never came in so she's always been bottled fed, we had problems with her being sick and having runs from birth, she is now 9 weeks. month and a half ago we were told she was lactose intolerant she's much better on her special formula from gp. we are still having problems with her choking and coughing during/after feeds to the point she goes blue around her mouth, she also spits up (brings up a bit of her milk after her feed) I told doctor all this she said aww first time mum worries!! Is this normal she also said she wasn't classed as a premi?? Another question is weight she was 5lb 10oz at birth and now 8lb, doctor said she wanted more weight on her feel like im doing somthing wrong doctor said she should be smiling by now but shes now:nope: her due date was only 3 weeks ago. Any advice

Congratulations on the birth of your little girl.

When it comes to preemies, I think you will find that most family doctors and Health visitors don't really understand that they are a bit different from term babies.

At 35 weeks she is classed as a preemie, term is 37 weeks so anything before is a preemie. Preemies have two ages - their actual age which in your case is 9 weeks and then their "corrected age" which is what age they would be if born on their due date, so in your case 3 weeks. Preemie growth and development normally follows the corrected age - so you would expect her to behave like a 3 week old baby. Smilling in term babies happens at about 6 weeks - so you should expect your first smiles in a few weeks time.

Growth also follows corrected age so you would expect her to weigh what a 3 week old would weigh - and 8lbs seems quite good to me.

Ah this is this new thing I'm hearing where later preemies are being called something like 'moderately pre-term'

But premature is premature no matter how people want to put it.:shrug: you may not have massive issues with development etc but it is a reason if you ever do encounter any issues - remind your docs anything below 37 weeks is premature!!! However, you might find your LO catches up with others her age quicker :shrug: I know my friends 33 weeker had no issues,she just grew up fine and dandy with no developmental issues, so they don't correct her age.(in fact she's just been moved to a higher nursery group than her age!) But they are all different! So don't worry either way!!

The blueness of the mouth sounds common. My friends LO suffered this for a while. Although they said he'd grow out of it, I'd suggest speaking to your doc or health visitor to make sure. It could be reflux, common in preemies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->