Can I make this co-sleeping arrangement safer?

bky

:(
Reaction score
Assembled. There are two pillows in the gap between the beds. Usually the second pillow there would also be under the black sheet. I left it out to show placement.
https://img716.imageshack.us/img716/8237/dscn0849q.jpg

Closeup of pillow arrangement.
https://img842.imageshack.us/img842/6743/dscn0847.th.jpg

Closeup of gap, this is near her head.
https://img838.imageshack.us/img838/8814/dscn0848.th.jpg

I can push the cot away so I can get out, but it is on carpet so doesn't roll that easily. I need to use a fair amount of force, not just a bump. Bedrail is on her bed instead of mine.
https://img822.imageshack.us/img822/3780/dscn0846f.th.jpg

Does that seem safe? Any tips for improvement? OH thinks she's going to roll into the pillows/gap and suffocate. :nope:
I've had her in our bed with the bed rail on our bed but it hurts me to lie on that side long term (lingering pregnancy sciatica), also I like blankets and us co-sleeping pushes OH off the other side of the bed a bit.

With this she spends the first half of the night in her cot, then after the middle of the night feed she is in our bed snacking.

I have the bed rail on our bed but because it isnt made to fit a king, its tied and has its own funny way of fitting but its safe. I dont imagine she will roll between but tbh i wouldnt feel safe with the bed on wheels being the barrier. Is it important for you to have the bedrail able to be wheeled away?

Oh, and for us, the gap is where my pillows go so no gap really, I also have hubbys pillows longways under LOs feet so he is in a little bubby blocked by me and the bedrail and the pillows :haha: they are heavy memory foam pillows so they arent soft enough to smother him or anything

ETA hubby works nights, when he comes in in the morn or on his nights off, i use my BF pilow at his feet

I did try the bed rail on our bed, but then I thought the gap being on the other side (next to her bed) was less safe as I'm generally more aware when she's right next to me. I can lock the wheels down so it doesn't roll at all (even without the lock it's more of a push than a roll, wheels locked would be even more of a push), but then I'd essentially need to climb off the end of the bed to get out. Same with the bedrail on our bed, because it would be a struggle to get her bed far enough away to put it down. This way I can get out to pee and don't have to worry about her rolling off her bed (not that she can even roll yet...).
I may look into a large sheet I can just cover both beds with. :wacko:

id go get some cotton from a fabric shop that will be long enough for you to tuck it under the far side of her bed and go all the way over yours and tuck on the other side too,
personally id have her bed as fixed to your bed as i could and just deal with having to climb down the bed to get out lol i did this when the moses basket was right next to our bed

i have a double bed but use a king size fitted sheet so it goes over the pillows in teh gap. so there are still 2 sheets but tucked in so tight there isnt really a gap if that maeks sense. our bed is right up against his, there is only a few inches between the other side of the bed and the wall (where the bed rail is) so i have to climb in and out of bed lol! its fine though.
OH doesnt really sleep in with us atm :( so he's not an issue though.

Thanks. I think I'll move the bedrail back to our bed and put the pillows filling the 3 inch gap under her sheet for now. She doesn't move around that much when she isn't nursing and her mattress is totally flat whereas ours has kind of a sloped edge. OH wants to put the side back on her cot, but she likes to hold my hand in her sleep (it's the only way she will sleep in her own space) and I can't fit my arm through the cot bars. Climbing off the end of the bed it is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->