Can I use let down milk ??

elle86

Reaction score
I have an over supply of milk that's causing me to spray milk whilst feeding baby. Poor little guy chokes and regurgitates sometimes large amounts of milk because it is just to strong. I have to put a container under the other breast whilst feeding so I don't end up completely soaked when my let down happens. After a feed I end up with quite a bit of milk In the container.

I was thinking maybe I could use it for the next feed ? Maybe just have one 'let down feed' per day so my supply slows down enough for me to stop spraying or leaking whilst feeding. Is this possible?? Has anyone tried it?

"Let down milk" is just regular milk that's being forcefully ejected. Collecting it and using it is a good idea. :)

Also, if your baby is having a hard time handling the force of your let-downs you may want to start taking him off before the first one and then putting him back on after it's calmed down. He may not be happy about it but it's better than gagging or gulping down air.

Thankyou! I do try to remove him- normally he does that himself... And then gets upset :-( it's just a nightmare - both breast spraying - me juggling little one and towels and containers!!

When DH goes back to work I want to have my flow sorted so baby and I can get on with things. I am washing towels and wraps daily because my milk gets everywhere and it means I have to hand bub over to DH for burping whilst I sort out my leaking and wet clothes :-(

Eek, I know that problem all too well. It was such a mess! It does get better though.

How often are you switching breasts when you feed? You may already know this, but with an oversupply it's generally best to stick with one breast until it's been emptied because then your baby will be able to get the fatty hindmilk, and also because switching too often can trigger your body to make even more milk. Depending on the severity of the oversupply it may be appropriate to stick with a single breast for 2-4 hour blocks of time, or even longer.

Here's more info:

https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

I have always done one breast for one feed since hE seems to get all he needs from that and I found it difficult to swap over. If I store the let down milk in a bottle can I put it in the fridge if I'm using it that day? Also how do I heat up and how much do I heat it by?? Ahhh so confusing :-0

I was taught the "rule of 4s" for expressed breast milk. It says that breast milk is safe for:
  • 4 hours at room temperature (sitting on the counter)
  • 4 days in the fridge
  • 4 months in the freezer

To heat it up you can swirl the closed bottle under some warm running water for a few minutes.

To heat it up, you can just run it under some hot tap water or put it in a bowl of warm water if you don't have a bottle warmer. Just heat it up until it's warm enough for your baby to be happy but not so hot it burns. You can test it in your own mouth to see how it feels. My husband said he found this the best way to test the milk before giving it to Violet when he looks after her. Others will say to put a drop on the underside of your wrist.

Instead of struggling to hold containers, you could try some breast shells that collect the milk? Gives you a free hand that way.

Just pump abit until your letdown comes and then put baby on. That way he wont choke on it, add tge pumped milk to your"letdown" and voila, youre next feed!:)

It sounds as if he's brand new and so is your supply. Hopefully it will calm down for you soon. :) Sometimes oversupply stays that way, but in general it regulates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->