Can I use the same name as OH's nephew?

tuppance

Reaction score
Is this allowed?!

I've always wanted to call my LO Theodore, and really it's the only boys name (apart from my DS) that makes me get excited but my partners nephew is called Theo. Is it too close? I'm having such a struggle with names!

Thanks for any advice / opinions!

It'd be too close for me. Lucas has the same name as a distant relative of my dad's but I've only met him a handful of times so I didn't even make the connection when we first decided on the name! It's up to you though, if you really love it then I don't think anything should stop you. I'd just maybe see what your OH's brother/sister thinks about it too?

Go for it. You could always use Teddy as a nickname instead of Theo.

I think it depends on how close you all are? I wouldn't choose the same name as any of my nieces and nephews but they all live within 2 miles of us and we have very frequent family gatherings!!

But if you love it - speak to the parents and I would think they would be flattered and happy for you to do it xx

I wouldn't personally. But as PPs have said, if you don't see them very often it might be OK, just depends on how the family situation is.

I probably wouldn't. The only time I could see an exception would be if the nephew's name happened to be the same as one of your family members (I.e. your grandfather) whom you wanted to name your child for.

Thanks for all your replies. I agree and think it's too close, but it's nice to dream! If I ever get a bunny I shall name it Theodore to get it out of my system! Thanks once again ladies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->