Can Orange do this???

Reedy

Outnumbered x
Reaction score
I'm on a contract phone with Orange & pay £20 a month which is what it states in my contract with them.
I have just recieved a text from them saying 'Hi from Orange. We're increasing the price of your monthly plan by 4.34% from 8th January 2012. Gor more information please visit orangeworld.co.uk

But are they legally allowed to just up my monthly payment even though in my contract it says £20 a month????

I have no idea legally but I wouldn't have thought so considering you entered a contract with them? They surely should uphold it regardless?

xo

I got the same text, it's more than likely in the small print. Unfortunatly I'm paying £45 quid, 3 months left on my contract. I won't be renewing with them again, the reception is shockingly bad, I have 2 points in my house extension where I have any reception, my dh is on vodaphine and his is fine. It pains me paying so much for such bad service!!

i got the same text..
no idea of they can do that but my contract finishes in Feb anyway. x

It will probably be in the small print somewhere in the contract, that they reserve the right to increase if they need (read 'want' :/) to, unfortunately. :flow:

The price increase with orange is to bring your contract up to the new VAT prices that came into affect in January this year. This is because on contracts sold this year orange hadn't put the VAT up. Your contract will go up by a pound at most to fall in line with the tariffs now offered which are 10.50 15.50 etc instead of £10 £15 etc. It's annoying and seems like a lot when they txt you but it wont go up by much.

Yep they can, three have done it already and vodafone

I got the same on as did OH and he called them saying they were breaking contract law and they said they weren't.

My contract is due for renewal in August and we'll both be moving!!

It'll be in small print in T&C yes. I got the same text and huffed about it! Bit annoying but it's only going up slightly. I wouldn't mind if I had a decent phone. lol

I didnt get a text but dont know if its different as mine is an iphone contract but it probably states it in the T&Cs

i wasnt sure so i read this https://link.orangeworld.co.uk/studio/paymchanges/planupdate/ and they can. im not impressed crafty buggers!

not everyone will get the txt because not everyones monthly payment will go up. If you already pay 20% Vat on your tariff then it will stay the same. If you pay the lower amount then it will increase to 20% VAT. The increase only applies if you signed up before 1st of September and after 1st April this year and the VAT was still being charged at a lower rate as far as I have been told (work for orange) For most other customers the VAT went up in January so if your like me then you've been paying the price increase for a year already anyway and it wont go up anymore.

i got the same text. I guess its just inflation. MOre peeved as now the internet wont work on my iphone so what the hell am i paying for

I got that too. But to be fair, I can't complain. When my contract with them was up for renewal I was going to leave but they reduced my call plan by 7.50 a month and included insurance and internet on the plan. So I pay 13.50 a month for insurance, 400mins, unlimited txts, 500mb internet and a new nokia N8, so I guess I should let em off really!!

It's not to do with the vat increase that should have already increased your contract mine went up in jan this year. They can do it as in their t and cs it says they can put prices up as long as it is lower than the retail price index. Apparently you can't get out of contract early it says
No, our Pay Monthly terms and conditions allow us to increase charges by up to the RPI figure in any 12 month period. The increase in the price plan charges is less than the 5.4% rate of inflation as measured by the Retail Price Index (RPI) in October 2011.
We can increase prices at any time on giving proper notice. In this case, the increase is less than the current rate of inflation and our terms and conditions state that we can do this without giving you the right to cancel your contract without paying the disconnection fee.
You'll find the details in section 4.3 and 15.1 here

Apparently if you write to ofcom though it isn't allowed and there is a way you can get out

Orange should have also told you that you can cancel. Ofcoms legislation says they can only put it up if the customer agrees and if it is not right for them they can cancel their contract with no penalty so long as you can prove it is of material detriment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->