Can pets sense pregnancy?

Fiora

Reaction score
Bit of a funny old wives tale style post, but I have a 3yo cat, male, has been neutered and the last 2/3 weeks he has been noticeably more violent?! He's playful but to the extreme, and in the last week has started randomly hissing at my partner (he's devastated, he loves cats lol!).

Just wondering if maybe he can sense the extra hormones and it's making him a bit loopy? Otherwise my cat is just an asshole now :haha:

I don't know- ever since I got pregnant, one of our cats has started bringing in more things into the house. Some dead mice and birds, but mostly rubbish from around the neighbourhood and leaves!

I think they can honestly lol, since I found out I'm pregnant I've noticed our dogs and cat taking more of a liking toward me

They sure can. I see tons of these threads pop up with every pregnancy - this is my fourth - with everyone saying their pets "knew", often before they knew. My adopted Boxer becomes extremely protective of me when I'm pregnant, starting at around 4 1/2 weeks. He doesn't leave me alone at all!!! He's been with me through three of the pregnancies, and he's reacted the same way each time. This time, even my "older" kids (2 & 3) knew right away. I guess it is because I act nutty and hormonal, very early on.

My idiot cats have been so much more affectionate, they won't leave me alone. It's very cute, but bordering on annoying when I can't do anything without their "assistance".

I would agree also. My girl cat would not stay away from me and has to be in my lap and is now my constant shadow. The other male cat (which is my DH's cat that he got before he met me) has now decided to spray. I wrote it in the notes in fertility friend because I thought I was just so odd, but yet I felt a little crazy thinking they were connected. DH still thinks I am a little crazy, but I truly believe it.

I agree too. Very early on my dog wouldn't stop sleeping in my room of trailer while camping then my two female cats when I got home would not stop sitting on me. My cats have always been sensitive to me being pg.

I don't know what a male cat would do, so not sure it that is, but if this the first time and you pg then I wouldn't put it paste him ;)

My dog did with my first pregnancy. I think he knew before I even did and he snuggled up to me for the whole pregnancy. Once I wasn't pregnant anymore he went back to disliking me! :haha:
This time round he hasn't seemed much different but he is getting old so maybe he doesn't sense it as well.

My dog has been a lot more snuggly - and he is not much of a snuggler (Australian Shepherd, so he feels like he has to "work" all the time, even when "working" just means patrolling the house to make sure every toy is where it should be, and barking at the neighbors). For the last several weeks he has been constantly next to me by the couch and always smushing his face up into the cushions to look at me or ask to be petted. Super sweet! No overprotectiveness yet - we'll see what happens when I get bigger!

I think my cat can (4 y.o. neutered male). He loves sitting on my lap but sometimes when I lie down he would just jump on my tummy/ chest or walk all over me.
He seems to be more careful these days (he still walks on my tummy sometimes but doesn't jump on there). Yesterday I was lying down and he wanted to come up, but somehow he kinda put one little paw on my tummy then decided he wouldn't, and ended up just lying next to me.

My boy dogs like to stick their noses in my butt and crotch when I'm pregnant, which they've already started doing lol and the girl stays near me which she's trying to

Lol some of these pet stories cracked me up today, I needed the laugh! I really think my cat can sense it, he got really rough lately with my partner whilst playing, he started hissing at him and attacking him which he'd never done before. Cat has also started waking me up in the morning purring for hugs which is new. Very odd!!

We were convinced that our cat knew before we found out we were having DS. She had randomly started peeing on Hubby's clothes and gym bag, then stopped just as suddenly after we found out.

This time round though there's currently no change in her behaviour, but can only wait and see.

I'm sure my female Persian knows. She doesn't leave me alone, calls for me when I happen to have escaped her watchful eye and serenades me to sleep... I literally have to pretend to be asleep before she stops.

I'm sure my female Persian knows. She doesn't leave me alone, calls for me when I happen to have escaped her watchful eye and serenades me to sleep... I literally have to pretend to be asleep before she stops.

That's too cute

Yes I think so,even the younger two kittens age 5 months are very affectionate all of a sudden and the male one wants to cuddle in all the time😊,very cute!

I totally believe this! With my first pregnancy in 2012 my roommates cat, a male, loved snuggling up on my stomach. He spent the entire length of the pregnancy there and when I miscarried he stopped.

This time around my bfs cat loves climbing all over me. He started around the time I think I implanted. (Speak of the devil. Here he is. Just jumped onto my belly all purrs) he likes to sleep on my tummy or snuggle right into my chest and neck.

So yeah. I totally think they know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->