Can somebody please explain??

Moulder86

Fiancé & mum to one
Reaction score
Ok I'm trying to do my birth plan but could somebody please explain the below and the pro's/con's. I'm not sure about having them done but mostly because I'm not 100% sure what they're for.

If available, would prefer erythromycin eye treatment or other antibiotic eye drops instead of silver nitrate.
I would like to waive the administration of eye antibiotics.
I would prefer to have Vitamin K administered orally.
I would like to waive the administration of routine Vitamin K, unless medically indicated.
I would like to defer the PKU screening.

Thank you

xx

Hey Hon.

I'm not sure about the other stuff but the Vit K is routine and is administered to boulster LOs immune system I think.

Probably best to just ask your MW. :shrug:

Thank you Angelmouse, without sounding rude my MW is useless!!! lol

If available, would prefer erythromycin eye treatment or other antibiotic eye drops instead of silver nitrate. Not sure WHY...but I didn't click this one cause I'm allergic to erythromycin
I would like to waive the administration of eye antibiotics. I decided to delay the antibiotics for an hour or so, that way LO can SEE you instead of a big blur looking through ointment
I would prefer to have Vitamin K administered orally. I picked this cause I felt bad that LO would be getting one more shot after she's born, lol
I would like to waive the administration of routine Vitamin K, unless medically indicated. I'm pretty sure Vit K is for helping LO's blood to clot properly..might be wrong though
I would like to defer the PKU screening. This one I have NO idea!

Hmm...from what I'm reading most places don't even use SN for the eyes anymore and just use an antibiotic. Apparently it's to prevent gonorrhea from being passed and causing conjunctivitis in the LO.

Here's what I found on PKU: https://www.aafp.org/afp/991001ap/1462.html
The blood sample for phenylketonuria (PKU) screening should be obtained at least 12 hours after the infant's birth. Newborn screening for PKU has largely eliminated mental ******ation caused by this disease. If the first phenylalanine test demonstrates positive results, a repeat test should be performed. Treatment to prevent sequelae from this disorder is best carried out in cooperation with an experienced PKU center. Dietary care is expensive, and financial assistance may be necessary for many families. A phenylalanine-restricted diet should be started as soon as possible. Occasionally, cases of PKU are missed by newborn screening. Thus, a repeat PKU test should be performed in an infant who exhibits slow development.

Here's the vitamin K stuff I found...kinda scary: https://www.womens-health.co.uk/vitk.asp

Thanks Pitbullmommy, I shall have a look at it when I get a chance. xx

I don't think it's a good idea to get antibiotics in the eyes unless they actually have an infection, it can totally open the way for the baby to get thrush (and you too if you are going to breast feed). But that's just my opinion. I chose to get the vit K orally rather than by injection, but tbh I don't think I'll even bother with that next time. Is the PKU like the heel prick test they do?

Oh of course. :dohh:

Sorry Hon for giving you wrong info. Shoulda kept quiet eh?! :blush:

I remember now with the Vit K being a clotting agent but I've not heard of the antibiotics for the eyes.

The PKU is the one that they do with the heel prick isn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->