can we afford a baby??

dignity4

Reaction score
My husband and I have been trying for the last 2 months to conceive.. it was kind of a spur of the moment thing and we figured we both made enough money for it.. I'm 22 and he's 24. I make about 1500 a month and he makes about 1700.. totaling 3,200.

then the bills

925 rent
260 car payment
120 car ins
100 phone bills
135 cable/internet
100 electric
70 water
100 gas
200 groceries

leaves roughly $1,200 left over a month.. that being if we have NO extra expenditures... but is that even enough?? especially if i take an unpaid maternity leave? I'm just now finding out how expensive day care is.. OMG. and we don't have family members to watch the baby they all work full time as well. Is this even possible or am I just living in a fairy tale?

If it makes you feel better with my first was a single mom and my income for the year was never more then 11,000 for the year, I had to do a lot of scrounging to make it work but we got by.

Look in your area and if they have a budgeting for baby course take that . You can expect your grocery bill to go up by at least 100-200 dollars a. Month minimum especially with you staying home . and if your in the USA then expect some medical bills.

Can also try an online calculator to help you figure out how much babies first year will cost you.

You may actually be better off quitting and taking food stamps/assistance vs working doing childcare. This would allow your husband to further education if that was in plan books. It is not ideal or any ones goal I know:)

Also if you want to continue to work you may be able to work for reduced rate day care(I know there are some options out there)

more than enough!! With DH being in school we'd have less than half this money left at the end of the month and we're doing just fine:winkwink:

More then enough Hun babies aren't that expensive it's when they get older and want iPhones, play station 4's and designer clothes :haha: I always disagree when people say babies are expensive :)

If you waited til you can afford a baby you will never have one lol - you make the budget work for you :)

Thank you guys so much for your answers!! I've been stressing out so bad about this! Today I'd be 5 dpo and we did it every day i was fertile.. So now more stressing! Thank you so much again :)

If you waited til you can afford a baby you will never have one lol - you make the budget work for you :)

This is what I told my husband. by the time you "can afford one" you will be past age of it being possible. Yes it is nice to have loads of money but when it comes down to it you can do it on a lot less. I think it is also healthier for kids to not be raised with to much stuff and they value it alot more when items do not appear the day after saying "I want that".

We are going to breastfeed and use washable diapers so right there that will save some. Also will be gifted the playpen and some smaller items. Keeping it basic.

u never can comfortably afford a baby :haha:

u just need to budget :)

OH and I only make a few hundred more, and I think we only have 800 a month left over. OH is the only one working now, as I have been a full time student. I'm breastfeeding (if no problems) to save a lot of money. It's all about budgeting. You'll be fine hun.

You'll be fine Hun, baby's are as exspensive as you make them be :)

Xx

Childcare should be the only thing you'll need to really think about. Get it figured out solid as to when family/trusted friends would be able to take your baby. You'll save a bunch if it turns out to only be a couple of days a week that you need a daycare.

As far as dealing with unpaid maternity - it sounds like you have a decent amount leftover after monthly expenses. Do whatever you can to save as much as possible starting immediately, so that you have something of a nest egg to fall back on during those first few months.

I think it depends on where you live. Around here I haven't found a daycare that costs less than $1500 a month. I'm expecting this baby to cost at least $2000-$2500 extra per month after diapers, food, toys, daycare, etc. If you live somewhere a bit cheaper you'll probably be fine. I think no matter how much you have leftover you stress it and worry about it. It's all about making it work for you.

I agree babies are as expensive as you make them - were using cloth nappies (iv spent about £100 on some preloved/new nappies) & hoping to breastfeed (if not expressing!) As long as baby has somewhere to sleep, eat and poo they dont really need a lot else (obviously you always get more stuff lol!) X

I agree that babies don't have to be super expensive. A fancy nursery full of brand-new, coordinated furniture, linens, and decorations will cost quite a bit. But really the baby couldn't care less, as long as it's safe, warm, loved, and fed.

My husband and I barely make ends meet, and once the baby is here, we'll continue to barely make ends meet, by adjusting our work and spending. Luckily we already received tons of hand-me-downs, and whatever we still need/ want we'll be looking for 2nd-hand.

Childcare is a major expense though if you plan to go back to work. I've considered actually doing childcare in my home for a few other kids, if we really end up needing the money, rather than going back to work and shelling out half my paycheck to have someone else take care of my baby.

Breastfeeding will definitely save you a whole lot of money, as will cloth diapering (though a lot of daycares won't do cloth). I have a veggie garden that saves me hundreds on groceries, and is also healthy and organic. I also sell veggies to friends and neighbors for a bit of extra cash. I hang our clothes to dry, which saves a lot on electricity, and cook everything at home, rather than going out to eat. Lots of little ways to save a bit of money and make it work.

I agree with many other comments....you can never really afford to have a baby, you just go for it and make it work. And if you can feed the both of you on just $200 a month, you can do anything, because that is amazing.

We cut cable to cut costs--totally unnecessary!! Internet is a must though!!

You'll be ok Hun.

I agree babies are as expensive as you make them - were using cloth nappies (iv spent about £100 on some preloved/new nappies) & hoping to breastfeed (if not expressing!) As long as baby has somewhere to sleep, eat and poo they dont really need a lot else (obviously you always get more stuff lol!) X

I agree whole heartedly with this!

Babies are nowhere near as expensive as many baby companies will have you believe. Especially if you breastfeed, use cloth nappies, etc.

My first baby was expensive because I bought into all the "baby essentials" I thought I needed that went unused. I've learnt my lesson this time! I've spent £100 so far, £70 on a lovely second hand travel system, and £20 on a huge bundle of newborn baby clothes on ebay. All the clothes my second baby will need for at least the first 2 months for barely anything. Of course I've bought bits and pieces here and there, but always in the sales. I'm knitting/crocheting lots of nice bits too, wool doesn't have to be expensive, and all the love that goes into handmade is special.

Babies don't need anything other then love and food. Some people don't even use nappies! That's too much hippy for me :winkwink: but I don't use cloth either, as I'm rather lazy...I'll bulk buy nappies and I'll buy what's on offer, and do the sums myself to make sure I'm getting the most value for money.

When it came to weaning my first onto solids, I went with baby led weaning. Far healthy then the baby food isle, and much much cheaper. It's only now my daughter is over 2 that I've really noticed my food bill rise!

You will be absolutely fine. :thumbup: You will never find the perfect financial time to have a baby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->