Can we prevent autism during pregnancy? Important article...

FirstTry

Mommy!!!
Reaction score
Like many other families in the developed world, Autism effects mine. I have wondered whether the increased occurrence has anything to do with the mother. This article seems to suggest that building a healthy microbe including good bacteria and parasites might be the key to prevention of not only autism, but the explosion of allergies.

At least here in the US, every nursery school is peanut-free. That certainly was not the case when I was growing up. In fact, it was a strange kid who didn't eat peanut butter and jelly.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/...-disorders-and-autism.html?src=me&ref=general

Please share your thoughts...

I also wish the article said what to do now. For extreme cases of a poor gut microbe, I have read about fecal transplants from a healthy person.

For healthy women who are pregnant or TTC, maybe eating probiotic and prebiotic foods can help. I have read that the follow foods fit those categories:

- Probiotic: yogurt (especially those with mult strains of bacteria), kefir, fermented veggies (esp. sauercraut)
- Prebiotic: high fiber foods, leafy greens like spinach, beans

Personally, I eat soft and moldy cheeses as well as sushi and plan to keep doing so when I finally get pregnant. That is unless a doctor can convince me otherwise.

I'm not recommending this for anyone; just sharing my thoughts.

A fecal transplant makes using parasites seem downright attractive! :haha: My gut was a disaster after long-term antibiotic treatment so I was finally prescribed a probiotic. The difference that came after just a few days was incredible! I really hope I can continue taking the probiotic after I get pregnant. Unfortunately the yogurts don't agree with me and I'm allergic to mold so no blue cheese for me. :dohh:

Yes, the fecal transplant, such a lovely image :rofl:

What is the probiotic you were prescribed? Sounds like you've had a great experience.

I have been yammering about my microbial environment for a while, but DH has ignored me and my voodoo. Until this article came out. You see, we each have autism spectrum disorders in our families, so DH is particularly concerned.

We just looked up raw milk. It's illegal to sell raw milk here, so we'd have to buy a share of a cow to get it! I think that I'm just going to try raw milk cheese instead. It's legal to sell if it's been aged some number of months.

I have immune issues, i have a 10 month old and during pregnancy i was prescribed steroids for killer cells and there is RA on the way at some point, my killer cells show markers for it and my mum has it. My 10 month old is too early to know for sure, but i would stake my life on it that she doesnt have any autistic like symptoms - its only a risk factor and no one is destined to have a child with autism.

My advice is straight away give up all sugar and refined white flour. It adds to inflammation and feeds yeast and reduces good bacteria. And to take aspirin from bfp, which reduces abnormal killer cells

High quality marine oil (eg pregnacare) reduces inflammation

Folic acid in the 1st month of pregnancy reduces autism risk too.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/246721.php

Hi. Listeria in soft cheese and sushi can cause chorioamnioitis and premature labour or fetal demise... Sorry to be a joy germ but won't eat it myself.

Vitamin D is an anti iinflammatory acting on cells and our levels have fallen in recent years so there mybe a connection??????

Vitamin D is an anti iinflammatory acting on cells and our levels have fallen in recent years so there mybe a connection??????

Interesting. So, we need more time outside and less time on the computer? :comp:

I agree with FirstTry and Kismet that we are too extreme one way now. Our mothers didnt have problems like this and they smoked, drank, didnt have bottled water, didnt use computers, ate fish and lunch meat, and drank soda! DH and I do not use antibacterial soap either. I plan to cut back on bottled water and the use of plasctics and microwaves in general. I am really freaked out about autism, its a major concern for me. We even were considering not vaccinating but have not decided on that yet. Its so scary.

Super interesting article - I thought this stat: risk of autism with celiacs disease is increased by 350%. All the more reason to consume an anti-inflammatory diet...

On the probiotics I try to consume different kinds - on a trip to India I took Jarrow brand probiotics (the ones you don't have to put in the fridge) and I took ALOT way more than the recommended amount (10 caps everytime I ate) and my digestion seemed to be better than how it is when I'm in the US.

On a daily basis while not travelling I take Good Belly and Sheep's milk yogurt (plain) and sometimes the Udo's blend probiotic supplement...

Super interesting article - I thought this stat: risk of autism with celiacs disease is increased by 350%. All the more reason to consume an anti-inflammatory diet...

On the probiotics I try to consume different kinds - on a trip to India I took Jarrow brand probiotics (the ones you don't have to put in the fridge) and I took ALOT way more than the recommended amount (10 caps everytime I ate) and my digestion seemed to be better than how it is when I'm in the US.

On a daily basis while not travelling I take Good Belly and Sheep's milk yogurt (plain) and sometimes the Udo's blend probiotic supplement...
Oh wow I did not know this... I have celiacs. I have been reading the news about gut bacteria lately - They mention a probable link with crohns, so assumed celiacs was similar. Makes sense if autism is increased then.

Gingersnaps - you must have a really healthy diet! Everyone I know with Celiacs is so good about what they eat...because you have to I guess but I think most people's unhealthy eating is due to laziness....if you don't have that option and you have to make an effort then you make it healthy.
My problem is with sugar. I eat it mostly out of laziness rather than addiction :( if the healthy option is there I will go for that first.

Gingersnaps - you must have a really healthy diet! Everyone I know with Celiacs is so good about what they eat...because you have to I guess but I think most people's unhealthy eating is due to laziness....if you don't have that option and you have to make an effort then you make it healthy.
My problem is with sugar. I eat it mostly out of laziness rather than addiction :( if the healthy option is there I will go for that first.

Celiacs damages your intestine and makes absorbing nutrients from food difficult. I am about 1.5 years from first going gluten free. I think I have had it since childhood though, as was often hungry and was anemic since first tested at eight. I also had frequent infections (bronchitis/pneumonia) and migraines, which I now only get from gluten.I feel better now but am not sure if I am as healthy yet as I can be. I take lots of Sups and eat a lot of whole foods. Yesterday, I made a salad with fresh pear, radicchio, cucumber, natural yogurt and balsamic vinegar. I try to come up with new fresh salads all the time based on what is in the fridge. But celiacs can eat processed food as well, there are many nice breads, pastas, cookies etc that are gluten free:flower:

Yum! That salad sounds amazing.
I've been doing a lot of soups lately. The acupuncturist told me 'warm' foods are good for conceiving so I try to make one soup a day - basically just a whole lot of vegetables blended :) (carrot/fennel/ginger/butternut squash etc)
What supplements do you use?

My naturopath put me on 4000mg EPO full cycle. I asked about the chance of uterine contractions after o & she said it was very very low. Better to have the anti-inflammatory effects of EPO & benefits of ECM/soft uterus then not. I have severe osteoarthritis and am terrified of downs or autistic chances. I just got tested for inflammatory response to 300 foods to. Takes three weeks but very happy I did this having read this article. Will def be dosing up on the probiotics too!

Thanks for the read...a great little article!

Yum! That salad sounds amazing.
I've been doing a lot of soups lately. The acupuncturist told me 'warm' foods are good for conceiving so I try to make one soup a day - basically just a whole lot of vegetables blended :) (carrot/fennel/ginger/butternut squash etc)
What supplements do you use?

Hi,
Soup yumm! I like puréed soups as well. Sometimes it is random what I put in but have done carrot and ginger, have added sweet potatoes but squash and fennel sound good:thumbup: Now there are lots of tasty fall vegetables coming.

The sups I take are: A food based prenatal, usually Rainbow light. Sometimes I take women's one by Rainbow light, a multi, because I take a high dose folic acid for my celiac. I try to alternate my high dose folic acid one day and Rainbow light B complex the other. I recently caught on to vitamin D. Took a bit last winter, tapered off in the spring and have begun again. I bought at first Vit D3 but the last time I was buying I forgot and picked up regular. I also take CoQ10 but at a lower dose, 30mg, seems a lot of people take higher. Those are the only ones I am taking regularly. I think I will start up again today with low dose baby aspirin. The previous cycle was a non ttc one so went off it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->