Can your sugar be too low?

ashleyy0

Mom to Hunter NTNP#2
Reaction score
I had my glucose test yesterday. My sister has a sugar kit that she just got because she found out she has low blood sugar. We checked my sugar before I went in and it was 71 which is very low. We checked it 25 mins after the test and it was 100 and then we checked it at 45 mins and it was 91. Has anyone ever had them say anything to them about their sugar being too low? I know they don't want it to be high but what about low? Does that matter? :shrug: I wont find out my results for a couple of days but I was just curious if anyone had ever had it be too low?

I wouldn't have thought so... but it's difficult to tell from the figures you've given (as there are no units!). But the fact that your blood sugar level rose, then fell back to where it was before is very good evidence that your natural insulin is working well - so I would say there was nothing to worry about. If you were fasting before you took the test, this would give you a lower reading. But don't worry. (I used to work in a lab doing the tests)

Unless you are feeling dizzy, head-achey or the like, then the lower, the better (within reason!). x

As someone who was near comatose due to severely low blood sugar, passed out multiple times and had many, many other problems with it before finally getting it under control, yes it absolutely CAN get too low. 71 isn't bad though. 'Healthy' is generally considered 70-100 (mg/dL). Mine is normally somewhere between 70-80 these days and that's great. Sometimes it's a little lower when fasting, though this pregnancy has it all messed up - both low and high.

Rarely will anything above 60 or so cause major issues (though it of course varies person to person). The usual problems are temporary confusion, brain fog, sudden fatigue, dizziness, shakiness and being off balance. None of those are particularly dangerous, they're what I consider warning signs. I've never personally had a real problem until it dips below 50. And most people aren't going to experience anything truly dangerous like coma, seizures, organ failure ect. until much, much lower than that and having stayed very low for a long period of time. Those sort of problems are very rare.

If you're having symptoms, talk to your doctor (be prepared though - not all doctors are familiar with non-diabetic related low blood sugar). If not, I wouldn't worry about. Your numbers sound fine and small changes can make a big difference. I changed my diet, started eating more often, carry glucose tablets around in my purse and have just learned to watch for the warning signs. It rarely gives me any problems anymore. Good luck :)

Mine was 1 point from too low this time and they didn't say anything. It was 80 and that's the cut off.

71 is NOT too low. In pregnancy hypoglycemia is less than 60. It won't harm the baby though unless its to the point it is harming mom (seizures, unconscious, etc).

70-120 is considered normal (well it would be better to be 70-100 but anyways), so 71 is perfect, actually.

Yes, you can have hypoglycemia during pregnancy (or any time) and no have gestational diabeties. I had hypoglycemia with DS1 and basically it would get so low (50s) that i would vomit severely-no matter how healthy the food was. I later met with a dietician and even though i was eating healthy foods, my body required more protein to offset things, even sugars from wholesome fresh fruit etc. Once i implemented a very particularly high diet filled with protein, it really improved and the low sugars vanished within a couple of weeks.
So yes it is possible to get low sugars but 71 is awesome and is not considered low.Plus if you are feeling fine thats a good indication too. For some ppl they dont need to get as low to have symptoms. For others it has to drop drastically to have issues. Once sugars get too low for your body type, you will know. Youll get various symptoms. Those symptoms differe from person to person but for me i was shaky, light headed, and vomiting was the worst thing i ever. im talking vomiting worse than HG vomiting (which i have HG this time but the vomits from low sugars were way more harsh and more ongoing and more constant). I think your fine hon :hugs:

Thanks for the replies everyone! They called me yesterday and said I passed.

I agree Guppy I guess how low your sugar is varies on person to person. If my sisters drops a point below 70 she is getting the shakes and passing out. Thats actually how we found out she had it. She was driving home one day and started getting shaky and then just passed out while she was driving. So its very scary and thats why I was worried about mine being too low I didn't want to harm baby. I am sorry you have been getting so sick. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->